Google Products Results in Adwords Positions

nvanprooyen

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Dec 8, 2008
3,189
82
0
Orlando, FL
Interesting. I'm assuming it's coming from Google Products data feeds, based on the image and multiple retailers for each listing. I've never seen these pop up in AdWords positions before, only in blended search. Anyone else notice this?

adwordsProducts.gif
 


yep, that shit has hurt my ctr for almost the past month for a few organic phrases. Took a top 5 result from ~8% CTR to almost 2% ... of course, I've got shopping results mixed in the SERPs @ #1 ... so double whammy for these terms.
 
and so it begins

if I were a coupon/shopping comparison site I'd be cracking the bourbon right about now. I haven't seen that yet, thanks for sharing.
 
Just sent you a screenshot of an example of what I'm going up against. That + shopping results showing up at #1 really dominates above the fold.

When did they start doing it? I just noticed it by pure chance today.

They've been around since before black friday. Probably longer than that as I just did some manual reviews of some of my SERPs as they started gaining the christmas traffic.
 
Yeah, those have been on there for a few weeks.

Anyone know how they work? Is Google doing affiliate marketing now....or are these just special ads for stores or what?
 
yes, this does not look so hot for affiliates. would love to see the heatmap within the serps. you know those images are major hotspots, just a matter of time before Google Merchant/Google Products, charges you per item in your datafeed.

Google - Cant Stop, Wont Stop....

and it continues.


google.png






affiliates are not wanted here... Google requests that you update your feed with available inventory, shipping information, etc...
 
could be very interesting to see if creativity could come into play with the 'submit products' bit above. Wonder how that works once they're accepted.... little apache fun could be fun.
 
could be very interesting to see if creativity could come into play with the 'submit products' bit above. Wonder how that works once they're accepted.... little apache fun could be fun.

From what I've heard, a lot of your ranking inside shopping results revolve around attributes. In other words, the more complete and descriptive your data is, the better chance you have at getting good placement.

Google Product Search Attribute List - Google Merchant Center Help

I don't know how accurate info is though. It was a few years back when I was involved in a discussion about it. Another thing is product mapping (MPN, UPC etc).
 
Just sent you a screenshot of an example of what I'm going up against. That + shopping results showing up at #1 really dominates above the fold.

Saw it. That sucks. Drop ship? Gotta be a cheap place to source the product in that screen shot. Then you can try and optimize feeds to get placement in these spots.

E.g. http://www.alibaba.com - Search for the KW in your screen shot.