this guy sent some fraud traffic and yes, he shouldn't be paid, but no he should not have his information illegally sent to other networks.. he'll learn his lesson and move on!
networks need to stop being global police and start hounding down on quality more.. don't let a pub send $1k worth of traffic if he is new. have him send a $150-200 test and check in with the advertiser before he's good to go on more volume
I'm so with sgtryan on this, plus his final suggestion makes a lot of sense, and it's kind of crazy how everybody instantly jumped into "he's coming to rip you off next!" mode. That's called a slippery-slope and it's presumptuous and unfair.
When I first started with paid traffic I sent a ton of it to an offer and was real happy that I had something working. I had split tested over and over and finally found a group the offer worked for. Suddenly I get an email saying I'm not allowed to include users under 18 and that I just lost the few thousand dollars I spent on running it on a hairline margin.
The AM talked to me like I was either one of a zillion common affiliate criminals or a psychic, noting that I had been blacklisted from offers before. I told him, "Yeah, and every time I asked why, the only thing you told me was that the quality wasn't good. I don't really know what that means, and plus I haven't been doing this very long, so don't talk to me like I'm doing it on purpose if you aren't willing to explain it to me."
For all the tutorials and blogs and ebooks that abound the internet, there is no Affiliate Marketing 101. You can find strategies out the ass, but without a formal training course, the only way to learn is by doing things wrong one at a time, right?
Of course the OP is pissed that he's not getting money, but he's also probably afraid to admit in front of all the critical-ass people here who know better that he didn't know he wasn't allowed to pull this. Because what do you think would happen if he came straight out and said, "I didn't know I couldn't do that"? He'd get 5 pages of replies in the vein of "your a dumbass."
For a while I didn't know I couldn't target under 18 with a lot of offers; how could I have? Because it said it in 8px gray text at the footer of an iphone submit? I have NO idea how the hell an advertiser makes money from a zip submit, and when I asked this same question to an AM (at a network I've done well with and really do like), the answer was, "They usually don't!" Now you tell me what that's suggesting to a newbie publisher.
I bet you that if one network invested in a simple little Flash video course explaining how advertisers make money with offers, how networks make money from them, what can go wrong for publishers and the balance that makes affiliate marketing possible, they could gain a lot of new business while eliminating a lot of problems. My guess is that the OP -- if he ever gets the mercy of another chance, lol -- would NOT try this again.
But what do I know? I'm retarded.