My Story (aka. "Why I'm Mildly Retarded for not Split Testing Earlier" - feel free to skip)
So back in September I started a a site for an info product. My campaign was solid. I dominated the entire organic keyword niche for the product, and for a while, shit was gravy.
I quit my job. Went to europe for 5 weeks. Came back. Still making money. Dope.
Soon after, sales started declining. What happened? Well, it looks like competition for the product nearly DOUBLED. Damn.
What else?
Having been at #1 for so long, I was easy picking for someone to rip off my LP once all the new kids came to the party.
Now, I consider myself a pretty smart person, but jesus christ did it take me a long time to realize that MAYBE all of those LP rip offs who were actually buying PPC ads, and therefore ranking above me, were making my ORIGINAL LP look like BULLSHIT. It totally killed the credibility of my flog author (ironic statement, i know, haha).
Lightbulb.
So last friday, at 3am, I found a completely different theme for my landing page (Wordpress based) that looked NOTHING like my previous LP or any of its rip offs. I spent a couple hours revamping the entire thing, and bam, my first "a/b" test if you will.
My "Holy Shit Split Testing is Awesome!!!" Moment
(aka. "Why I'm STILL Retarded for not Split Testing Earlier" - feel free to skip)
So everyday, for the past 5/6 days, I've been looking at my analytics. Have bounce rates changed? Nope, not really. How about time on page? Pretty much the same. CTR? Still roughly the same.
Damn. I almost wouldn't have even minded if my stats when DOWN, I was just expecting SOME kind of change from a 100% aesthetic overhaul.
Like I said, my product is a CB product, and its been a bitch to set up some sort of actual conversion tracking, so for the most part, I'd pay attention to CTR and pray that conversion rate stayed roughly the same.
Nuh-fucking-uh.
What I found almost made me shit my pants.
Earnings per visit to site (after returns) From $.22 to $.34 - 55% increase!
Earnings per visit (before returns) - From $.235 to $.38 - 61.7% Increase!
Conversion Rate (#Sales/Visit to LP) - From .9% to 1.4% - 55% Increase!
^^^ (before I bet flamed for such a low CR, let me say a) lick my balls b) this is CPS not, cpa, so for a page that actually got people to willingly spend $40 without any split testing, I think i did alright)
Holy fucking balls. But, like I mentioned previously, I generally consider myself "smart," so I realize there's a decent chance my findings weren't statistically significant. This evening, I inputed my numbers into Split Test A/B Test Marketing Calculator - landing page-ppc-email split tests | SplitTestCalculator.com (awesome tool! recommended!) and, to my dismay, found that my morning numbers were only 46% significant, haha. By evening, after a slow day, they were only 16% significant. FML.
Now I've Caught the Split Test Bug - Please Help Me (DON'T SKIP!)
After realizing the power of having statistically significant information, after 6 months of living off internet profits, it FINALLY hit me how valuable paid traffic is for optimizing pages. I immediately called up a friend who is the head ppc-guy for a top e-commerce company and we immediately decided to pursue a joint venture.
His job will be to drive ppc traffic. My job will be to split test like crazy and eventually get free organic traffic for our top converting terms.
MY QUESTIONS
Again, for all others new to testing, Split Test A/B Test Marketing Calculator - landing page-ppc-email split tests | SplitTestCalculator.com is a great tool that will keep you from blowing your load too early like I did this morning
Thank in advance for any answers.
P.S. I think its od that for the billions of times people tell noobs "test, test, test," very few actually discuss the methodology on here. Not hating, just observing. Holla.
So back in September I started a a site for an info product. My campaign was solid. I dominated the entire organic keyword niche for the product, and for a while, shit was gravy.
I quit my job. Went to europe for 5 weeks. Came back. Still making money. Dope.
Soon after, sales started declining. What happened? Well, it looks like competition for the product nearly DOUBLED. Damn.
What else?
Having been at #1 for so long, I was easy picking for someone to rip off my LP once all the new kids came to the party.
Now, I consider myself a pretty smart person, but jesus christ did it take me a long time to realize that MAYBE all of those LP rip offs who were actually buying PPC ads, and therefore ranking above me, were making my ORIGINAL LP look like BULLSHIT. It totally killed the credibility of my flog author (ironic statement, i know, haha).
Lightbulb.
So last friday, at 3am, I found a completely different theme for my landing page (Wordpress based) that looked NOTHING like my previous LP or any of its rip offs. I spent a couple hours revamping the entire thing, and bam, my first "a/b" test if you will.
My "Holy Shit Split Testing is Awesome!!!" Moment
(aka. "Why I'm STILL Retarded for not Split Testing Earlier" - feel free to skip)
So everyday, for the past 5/6 days, I've been looking at my analytics. Have bounce rates changed? Nope, not really. How about time on page? Pretty much the same. CTR? Still roughly the same.
Damn. I almost wouldn't have even minded if my stats when DOWN, I was just expecting SOME kind of change from a 100% aesthetic overhaul.
Like I said, my product is a CB product, and its been a bitch to set up some sort of actual conversion tracking, so for the most part, I'd pay attention to CTR and pray that conversion rate stayed roughly the same.
Nuh-fucking-uh.
What I found almost made me shit my pants.
Earnings per visit to site (after returns) From $.22 to $.34 - 55% increase!
Earnings per visit (before returns) - From $.235 to $.38 - 61.7% Increase!
Conversion Rate (#Sales/Visit to LP) - From .9% to 1.4% - 55% Increase!
^^^ (before I bet flamed for such a low CR, let me say a) lick my balls b) this is CPS not, cpa, so for a page that actually got people to willingly spend $40 without any split testing, I think i did alright)
Holy fucking balls. But, like I mentioned previously, I generally consider myself "smart," so I realize there's a decent chance my findings weren't statistically significant. This evening, I inputed my numbers into Split Test A/B Test Marketing Calculator - landing page-ppc-email split tests | SplitTestCalculator.com (awesome tool! recommended!) and, to my dismay, found that my morning numbers were only 46% significant, haha. By evening, after a slow day, they were only 16% significant. FML.
Now I've Caught the Split Test Bug - Please Help Me (DON'T SKIP!)
After realizing the power of having statistically significant information, after 6 months of living off internet profits, it FINALLY hit me how valuable paid traffic is for optimizing pages. I immediately called up a friend who is the head ppc-guy for a top e-commerce company and we immediately decided to pursue a joint venture.
His job will be to drive ppc traffic. My job will be to split test like crazy and eventually get free organic traffic for our top converting terms.
MY QUESTIONS
- Theoretically, if the difference in conversion rates is small enough, it could take ages to achieve statistical significance. What rule of thumb do you use for dropping a test when it looks like it may take weeks to get enough data? Is there a certain amount of views at which you cut it off? A certain amount of conversions?
- Let's say you do decide to end the test. One of the 2 variants you were testing had done better, but you were only able to achieve 50% significance before you reached the threshold. Would you then keep your page the same, or would you change the page to reflect the variant that performed better, even if the difference was statistically insignificant?
- Any other tools/resources you can offer on this subject, I am all ears. I think its pretty fascinating.
Again, for all others new to testing, Split Test A/B Test Marketing Calculator - landing page-ppc-email split tests | SplitTestCalculator.com is a great tool that will keep you from blowing your load too early like I did this morning
Thank in advance for any answers.
P.S. I think its od that for the billions of times people tell noobs "test, test, test," very few actually discuss the methodology on here. Not hating, just observing. Holla.