3 days of my new full time AM gig..thoughts



Well here's a few pics of the new desk I built. Nothing fancy, but it's exactly what I wanted but couldn't find anywhere. Just some 3/4 MDF with a 2 layer birch plywood top wrapped with hardwood trim, all painted satin black. The tower sits on a platform that slides out for access. The black vents give it an industrial look. I'm kinda stoked with how those came out. I'm going to build something of a similar style for the back wall below the painting, but probably with a shelf or some doors for more storage.

My new office at home isn't very big. I used to have it set up as a home recording studio, but all of the bass traps and sound treatment has been removed and it's how you see it below. Still need to get a few more things (at least one big monitor), but it's getting there. I do have the golf course view..so that's nice.


build1.JPG


build2.JPG


build3.JPG


IMG_1618.JPG


IMG_1620.JPG


IMG_1621.JPG


IMG_1622.JPG


IMG_1623.JPG


IMG_1624.JPG


IMG_1625.JPG


Heres is desk off the Workstation Thread.
 
Ah, I knew I should have checked out the workstation thread. Thanks, gamernz.

Sweet looking set up, efeezy.
 
Thanks...I'm doing exactly that. But I want More Moniez. Oh and my old Dell 17"'s are gone for two Dell 22"s and they're very nice.
 
Good luck man.

I looked at this thread because I've been laid off for three months and no job prospects on the horizon. I've dipped my toe in AM enough to make a small profit and about to decide I need my own business before my unemployment runs out.

Your thread is inspirational. Again, all the best.
 
The desk project (while in part procrastination probably) has given me time to get my mind cleared. I'll have it finished up by this weekend for sure and I'll be in full gear next week. It's simple, but it's the size and shape I want. I'll post a few pics when done.

Fortunately or unfortunately I had to spend about 5 hours yesterday moving everything to a dedicated server. HostGator shut down my shared hosting account in the morning because I was using "too many system resources" and told me it was time to move my ass to a dedicated. I knew it was but had just been putting it off. I hope that I don't take too big of a hit in the search engines for an extended period of time. We'll see.

I hope you are not kidding yourself.

I can give you a list of a thousand awesome things I have done at times to clear my mind when I was really just avoiding doing work.

You got to stop putting off the work and just jump in. I know, I have been there and done it, I have had weeks where I was always doing some other little thing just so I could make my environment perfect.. and it was all bogus. Just me playing mind games with myself.

The desk is nice and all, but you don't need a nice little desk and set up to make money, you need time and effort put into it.

I am not trying to be belittling, I just know from first hand experience how easy it is to come up with one more thing that needs to be done before I get back to the real work.

Once you get into the real work you will realize you don't have time for all those little things, because they really don't matter. Then when you pass out for exhaustion, take 2 hours off then you can work on those projects.
 
You got to stop putting off the work and just jump in.

He has jumped in, look at his posts where he's talking about all the stuff he's doing.

I think the desk was important, we discussed this already, it was more than a desk, he was planning his future as he constructed it. The desk has been built, he's working hard, why re-hash this moot point?
 
I was going to apologize for skimming the thread.. but I stand by what I said...

Going back through the whole thing.. I don't see what you guys are talking about...

You seem to be putting things off, and working on other things or focused on less important things. (whiteboard for instance.)

I don't see any post from him saying, "Yeah I have been tearing it up so I decided to take a break and build a desk."

Someone earlier on told him to stop building furniture and make campaigns until his brain turns to mush. That is good advice.

Every time I browse back through the thread I see him talking about doing things that are not making him money. Picking up a white board and on and on.. You just have to plow through this stuff. This is not a corporate gig where you get to impress people with busy work.

The good thing is you can work hard and then relax. You don't have to put up any pretense. The bad side is you can't just go around organizing and making lists and planning an office for something that 99.99% exists in your computer.

Like I said I sometimes fall in the trap of kidding myself and get distracted with this stuff.. it is one of the pitfalls of working for yourself, and more importantly working for yourself in an environment that has no real structure. We can kid ourselves into thinking we are working when we really are not working.

Like I said I know I have been there.. and you can couch it however you want... Your time would have been better spent doing research or setting up campaigns or whatever else you need to do to be succesful.

It is nice to build a desk as a a metaphor for your future, and I don't begrudge you that. To be honest I don't care. I am trying to offer some real advice from personal experience.

I really am not trying to take the piss... Just keep your eye on the prize, and you will be fine.
 
^^ I agree 100%. Working hard is what it takes. I started this thread a couple days after my start of doing this full time. It was a bit of culture shock after working for someone else for 14 years...that's all.

I can appreciate what you're trying to say, and you're preaching to the choir here....but did you read the top of this post.. http://www.wickedfire.com/606556-post18.html

I know what it takes to make money..and after more than 6 weeks of it, believe me, I'm in the groove by now.
 
Honestly the time of day that you work doesnt matter. I actually find myself more distracted during the normal work hours. I'm at my best from 12am-5am and the creative juices are flowing. Just have a list of things you want to accomplish, break it down for the week and to the day (i normally give myself 24-48 hours), and get it done when its best for you. Thats the beauty of going full time AM.

I never once looked at this stuff as actual work. Its more of a game, with each campaign being your obstacle. If you win, you get a new car... and perhaps even more :)