I've been down the allergy test road a few times in my life. Little scratches on the back labeled with a ballpoint pen and then drops of allergens on each one to see which have a reaction. Good fun.
Tree pollen and grasses are the ones that get me the most. Well, come spring/early summer here in Spain all the olive trees (and every other flowering tree and bush) go nuts. Then in late August and throughout the entire months of September and October, all the grasses go to seed.
Nice view, but what you can't see is that the entire fairway I live on is lined with about 150 meters of pampas grass. This induces the absolute worst allergies I've ever experienced, especially the eyes (t's like there are shards of glass in them), but also complete blockage of the nose and asthma like conditions in the lungs.
Seriously, I'd never experienced anything as far as allergies go quite like I have here. For the longest time I battled them with meds, taking double and triple doses of various antihistamines, eye drops, nasal sprays, inhalers, you name it I tried it. They didn't do a damn thing.
Then I had a bad bout where I was having trouble breathing one day and the doctor on the ambulance crew (private ambulance service you pay annually here, makes house calls) that came to see me prescribed me about €120 in prescriptions, one of which was Singluair, and none of it did anything for me.
Singulair is where it's at. If I forget to take it (which I did yesterday) I get fucked badly.
I know millions of people take this stuff without any problems, but it has many possible side effect, up to and including death. It's in the leaflet that comes with it. Death is a possible side effect of taking this stuff.
It made my limbs feel like they were on fire. It was awful.
Doc says he recommends 6 months(!) of allergy shots, twice(!) a week. At around the 6 month mark, apparently patients see vast improvement, up to 90-95%.
This is for immunotherapy, where they give you small dosages of what it is you're allergic to in hopes that your body builds up a resistance. I think it's rubbish.
What finally cured me, after battling this shit for more than 5 years here, was a simple low dosage steroid shot twice a year. As soon as I feel the allergies coming on in the spring, I go see the doc, he gives me two tiny ampoules in an injection in the hip and I don't suffer a thing after that. The difference is like night and day. Where I would have been a complete wreck before, barely able to function, I'm normal.
In the fall, when the grasses start coming out, I go see him again as by then the previous shot has worn off. Again, despite being literally surrounded by allergens 24/7, I feel perfectly normal.
Though there are some possible side effects, I've not experienced any. I don't fuck around with any of that other bullshit anymore. For the last two years I've been getting the injections and it has been a lifesaver for me. Consult your doctor and ask about this form of treatment.