Any Gliders/Duo Discus Owners Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddarhusetgal

Incongruous Juxtaposition
May 2, 2007
1,863
70
0
....I'd like to get a license and wanted to know how much *work* it's going to be? Also, I'm curious how much you spend on maintenance and/or yearly costs?

I've been attracted to these since watching the Thomas Crown Affair plus have an ex- who flew and really got me into planes.

If you have any pics that would be great because I'd love to salivate :P!!!

PS
list some forums to check out too if you please....
 
Last edited:


oh, and what's the difference between the XL and the XLT? I am a total n00b here so talllk reaally sloowwllyy....lol
 
I used to fly gliders some when I was in flight school. They are a fun challenge. Areas with good thermal updrafts are definitely easier to fly in than parts that rely on heat spots (Uvalde in south texas is good). In general I found it more fun to fly these than small aircraft. More techniquie (and no go-arounds when you screw it up :) Also more of a jet type feeling as you are not side by side like most planes but one in front of the other.

Schweitzer makes some good glider/ sailplanes There is a forum called glidersforum.com where people discuss all the aspects.

Maintenance isn't that much for them but you have to think about hangering costs. Some people fold the wings in and put them in special travel trailers to minimize costs. You do have to pay for the other plane to drag you up though. Licensing is pretty easy compared to a private pilot's license as they are classifed differently.
 
I used to fly gliders some when I was in flight school. They are a fun challenge. Areas with good thermal updrafts are definitely easier to fly in than parts that rely on heat spots (Uvalde in south texas is good). In general I found it more fun to fly these than small aircraft. More techniquie (and no go-arounds when you screw it up :) Also more of a jet type feeling as you are not side by side like most planes but one in front of the other.

Schweitzer makes some good glider/ sailplanes There is a forum called glidersforum.com where people discuss all the aspects.

Maintenance isn't that much for them but you have to think about hangering costs. Some people fold the wings in and put them in special travel trailers to minimize costs. You do have to pay for the other plane to drag you up though. Licensing is pretty easy compared to a private pilot's license as they are classifed differently.

Awesome - thanks! Will check the forum. Looks like so much fun, as the year is almost half over I need to get on it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.