Buying living room TV to play movies from computer



My TV has a VGA input on the back so I just run a VGA cable from my comp to my TV. I've got one of those video cards with two inputs so I can use the screen on my desk as well as my TV for my desktop/watching movies/playing games. Pretty nice to be able to play whatever games on a 42" screen. Hoping to get to enjoy some D3 on it here soon.

All it costs is however much the VGA cable will be. But, really, if your pc/tv are in different rooms I don't know how practical it'll be.
 
My TV has a VGA input on the back so I just run a VGA cable from my comp to my TV. I've got one of those video cards with two inputs so I can use the screen on my desk as well as my TV for my desktop/watching movies/playing games. Pretty nice to be able to play whatever games on a 42" screen. Hoping to get to enjoy some D3 on it here soon.

All it costs is however much the VGA cable will be. But, really, if your pc/tv are in different rooms I don't know how practical it'll be.

Your picture would be better using an actual digital signal instead of VGA, either HDMI or DVI to HDMI.
 
So the problem with most TV's for streaming via Network is that they require a DNLA server, making it necessary to run Twonky, TVersity, or something else. I had to do this and I don't like it as it eats up system resources unless ofcourse you have a server of your own that does this exclusively.

The external drive connected to the TV could actually work. However not sure if you can get the little box to connect to the network and USB at the same time. If you could that would be ok. Acceptable I guess.

Personally I've found the best way though is with a NAS or Internal Raid and shares that you add to XMBC on the Apple TV2 (Jailbroken). It's simple, easy and has a ton of developers working on it so it's really always improving.

I also have a Quad Core PC connected to the TV which works really great for tons of things. Video Skype, Browser, Amazon Prime Instant Movies, Games, Movies (XBMC Windows), and the list goes on. Just make sure you get a good wireless control system. I think the keyboards with the attached touch pad mouse is best since it's all in 1. But you might want the mouse for gaming. I the machine for racing games which I use an XBOX 360 controller with the Windows Wireless integration.

HDMI & DVI are essentially the exact same signal just different connectors. There is no conversion between these two plugs, so you can get DVI to HDMI and get 1080p np. If you want to step it up go DisplayPort.
 
...I'm ready for touch screen walls. You can watch giant movies, or put it on a beach scene screen saver, or a top floor new york balcony scene..or even a stripper bar room scene for parties =D
 
If you aren't pirating, Roku is the shit. Netflix, amazon vod, hulu, etc. Add in Plex if you want to stream off your rig or from youtube, etc and you are golden.

We have 3, and use them almost exclusively. We have cable because it came with our package, but almost never use it. Streaming ftw.
 
Very cool. What do you do for local news? Can I antenna that? and for my Rays I could get MLB tv I guess. Some pretty sick set ups here. Love the automated bit torrent deal @nickycakes.

I have a 32 inch LCD with Wifi and an Amazon app in the kitchen. Pretty cool just search amazon and buy tv shows movies etc..
 
I've got an Xtreamer Ultra-2 with a 2 Terabyte external HD. It hooks up wireless to my network, so I can easily transfer movies from my PC. And it plays almost any format you can think of. Plus built in video jukebox software that automatically detects your movies and downloads covers and info...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFRe14pyr9Q]Xtreamer Ultra2 - Raw Video Demo - YouTube[/ame]