Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conjamuk

Stakin Stacks
May 27, 2008
1,768
41
48
I have been working alot this month and I am starting to get weakness in my wrists and a slight numbness. Has anyone had Carpals before what treatment would you recommend?
 


pause. TAke breaks throughout the day.

Learn to listen to your body and STOP as soon as tingling starts.

::emp::
 
I have been working alot this month and I am starting to get weakness in my wrists and a slight numbness. Has anyone had Carpals before what treatment would you recommend?

stop jerking gay guys off for money and invest in campaigns.
 
Natural® Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

That is guarantee'd to fix your problem. My wrists used to crack and be in pain all the time. An my pinkies were always asleep. I got that keyboard and haven't had a problem since, that was 2 years ago ( Wow that would be a nice testamonial lander wouldn't it ) But it's true. So true I'm willing to wager on it.
 
I don't know about Carpal Tunnel, but a few years ago I was putting in some long hours and fell asleep in my chair. When I woke up both of my hands were numb like if you slept on your arm wrong.

The last two fingers of both hands STAYED NUMB. I decided to see the doctor about it. I explained the circumstances leading to the numbness. He said that having my elbows/forearms lay across the arm rests of my office chair while sleeping had pinched off my Ulnar Nerves and caused some damage.

I had to wear wrist braces so as to not continue stretching the nerves while they healed. I started using a Gel wrist pad for my mouse area. I also wore neoprene elbow braces "backwards" at bedtime to keep my arms straightened so to not be stretching the nerves.

It took almost a year for my fingers to quit going numb if my arms were bent for too long a period of time.

It was tough for me to think that just 5 hours of my arms laying DEAD WEIGHT across my arm rests could cause a year's worth of recovery time.

I now make sure that at least once every couple of hours I get up away from the keyboard and let my arms straighten out for awhile. I don't let my ELBOWS stay in contact with my arm rests either. I either hover them or shift my arms so that the underside of my forearm is on the rests.

The doctor said that the elbow and wrist joint are where the nerve is most vulnerable to damage from outside pressure. With that in mind I do my best to keep pressure off of those areas. I use to just recline back in my chair with my keyboard on my lap while resting my elbows on my arm rests to do my work. I also never used any pad on my desktop for my mouse area. I have since corrected those things.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)

MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Ulnar nerve dysfunction

I also use the OLDER Windows Natural Keyboard. The keys are separated and more ergonomically correct. They quit making them and it took me about a year of searching on fleabay to get a good stock pile of working keyboards. (The Elite, Pro, and newer versions are just too cramped for me.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Natural_keyboard


Sincerely,

MT
 
I don't know about Carpal Tunnel, but a few years ago I was putting in some long hours and fell asleep in my chair. When I woke up both of my hands were numb like if you slept on your arm wrong.

The last two fingers of both hands STAYED NUMB. I decided to see the doctor about it. I explained the circumstances leading to the numbness. He said that having my elbows/forearms lay across the arm rests of my office chair while sleeping had pinched off my Ulnar Nerves and caused some damage.

That's almost exactly what happened to Dave Mustaine (the guy in my avatar, founder of megadeth, ex metallica). He fell asleep on a chair with his arm resting over the back of it and killed the ulnar nerve in his left arm, he lost the use of the muscles that pull the hand back, which is extremely important when you're playing guitar. So say you put your arm out straight with your palm facing down.. his hand was just limp, he couldn't lift it up, but it worked if his palm was facing up. He went through 18 months of therapy until the nerves grew back and then he had to learn how to play guitar again. He plays better than ever now...
 
I don't let my ELBOWS stay in contact with my arm rests either. I either hover them or shift my arms so that the underside of my forearm is on the rests.

This problem can be alleviated by removing the arm rests from your chair altogether. I always take them off to remove the temptation of slouching on them.

I also fell asleep at my computer about a year ago, propped up in a sitting position with one elbow on the table and my head resting on my hand. I pinched the nerve in my shoulder and it took weeks for it to get better.
 
Man also look up the kind of exercises/stretches that massage therapists do. There should be some online but if you're anywhere close to a massage therapy school, they'll show you and you can get cheap massage as well. Or just any massage therapist should be able to sympathize and show you a few exercises and stretches.

And damn that sucks about Mustaine.
 
I don't know about Carpal Tunnel, but a few years ago I was putting in some long hours and fell asleep in my chair. When I woke up both of my hands were numb like if you slept on your arm wrong.

Thanks to your wonderful story I am now paranoid as shit about my elbows.
 
There has to be more to these stories. Im sure thousands of people each day fall asleep on their chairs (my employees for starters - BAHA) and they don't wake up with these symptoms. There must be some kind of pre-existing condition to cause this, no? I can't believe 5 hours can kill nerves that quickly.
 
Not only does this work use repetitive motion, but it's also high stress. I'm pretty sure when I sleep my hands are balled up into fists.

Here's what helps me:


  1. Stretching my wrists and fingers and holding the positions right at the pain threshold for 30-40 seconds.
  2. Switching my mouse hand if my left hand is suitable to the task. Obviously not photoshop...but clicking on links and surfing.
  3. Chair positions. Change them often, move an inch up and an inch down down from the perfect position for a couple hours.
 
keep at it a couple months and wait till your eyeballs dry out... what a great job this is....
 
My wrist starts hurting when using the mouse a lot. When I strap on the wrist wrap it makes the pain go away pretty quickly. I should use one all the time, but too lazy and I keep misplacing them. They're pretty cheap to buy and come in little boxes they hang on hooks in the medicines department of any store.
 
Natural® Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

That is guarantee'd to fix your problem. My wrists used to crack and be in pain all the time. An my pinkies were always asleep. I got that keyboard and haven't had a problem since, that was 2 years ago ( Wow that would be a nice testamonial lander wouldn't it ) But it's true. So true I'm willing to wager on it.
If you get too used to it, wouldn't it be difficult to type equally fast on regular keyboards later?
It looks quite nice, I think I'll buy it :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.