cell phones: n900 vs moto 'milestone' droid

webetricky

Banned
Oct 12, 2009
612
9
0
NY
Motorola "Milestone" Droid (GSM variant)
Motorola-Milestone.jpg


Nokia N900
nokia_n900_1.jpg


I'm looking at these two because I fucking can't stand my blackberry. I had iPhone 3G for a while and it was nice but android is looking pretty great right now. N900 runs Maemo, a linux based open source OS backed by Nokia. Some pretty cool features but seems like updates are going to be much more rare than android.

N900 has nicer carl zeiss camera but otherwise specced similar to milestone (camera-wise). Milestone has a 3.7" capacitive touch screen where as n900 is a resistive 3.5", and n900 is considerably thicker and heavier although both these phones are beefy. N900 supports flash on web but next android update will support flash as well. Shitty physical keyboard on milestone, n900 is better, some also claim n900 is aesthetically nicer but seems very subjective.

Anyone using the milestone or droid love or hate it? N900 seems like the under dog but has anyone used it or considered it? N900 has me hypnotized for some reason but the resistive screen is a drag, and where as android is guaranteed to have its potential executed properly, Maemo seems to be dragging its legs a bit.

Main factors I'm concerned with is an iphone-like touch screen, great web and email experience, and decent speed but both these phones can be overclocked pretty high (1GHz reportedly very stable on both).

If the PHANDROID guy is around please comment! I remember your congratulatory thread a while ago but not your username. Site is nice though I've been on it quite a bit.

EDIT: ..And multi touch on android. None for n900. :( I wish they would put maemo on some different hardware.
 


this thread is pretty disappointing for me so far. Is nobody using either of these at all?

Nah, I'm sick of my BB too. Gonna grab the iPhone4 after the madness dies down in a month or so. But out of the two of those, I'd get the Nokia. I may not be a cell phone OS genius, but I do know that I didn't like either Android-based phone I've had so far. Just personal taste, really.

Also, it may be me donning my tinfoil hat, but I think Google's data collection reach goes far enough into my email, search queries, Adwords account, and whatever else. I don't need them indexing/storing my text messages, logging my calls, and tracking my location via GPS as well. Of course, all cell phone providers can and do, of course, do this but at least the information isn't all accessible, indexable, and profile-buildable by one company: Google.

/tinfoil hat rant
 
I'd recommend you to get the android phone, solely based on my great experience with HTC desire so far (few months).
 
Have used the n900 its pretty nice but with meego coming in meamo is going to be pretty much defunct. I believe there will be a port of it for the n900 though. The n900 is different to other smartphones in that it is relatively easy to hack or install other os on. Somebody in work had a debian terminal running on his.

Apart from that I found the battery life terrible (Like half a day) and the keyboard is not nice at all, the space bar is not centered.

If I were you I would look at the samsung galaxy s (android) or galaxy s pro (if you need a keyboard). I have the samsung wave and its a lovely phone but it runs samsungs own bada os (which isn't bad but there are just no apps for it yet). Samsungs generally have real good battery life and the galaxy s has an amazing screen.
 
Have used the n900 its pretty nice but with meego coming in meamo is going to be pretty much defunct. I believe there will be a port of it for the n900 though. The n900 is different to other smartphones in that it is relatively easy to hack or install other os on. Somebody in work had a debian terminal running on his.

Apart from that I found the battery life terrible (Like half a day) and the keyboard is not nice at all, the space bar is not centered.

If I were you I would look at the samsung galaxy s (android) or galaxy s pro (if you need a keyboard). I have the samsung wave and its a lovely phone but it runs samsungs own bada os (which isn't bad but there are just no apps for it yet). Samsungs generally have real good battery life and the galaxy s has an amazing screen.

I guess I'm leaning away from the n900 at this point. It looks so intriguing and has so much potential but its not looking like nokia will be following through with it. Also, why are there no other handsets available to run maemo? The N900 is too thick, resistive touch screen is disappointing, and I am not crazy about the keyboard (or any physical keyboard i've come across so far).

HTC Aria was released today / this weekend, its a 3g supported gsm version of the HD mini. Its too fucking small, but maybe this means more of the HTC phones will get 3g support with ATT and become available. I've been looking at the unlocked European gsm versions but they only support 3g on tmobile (no thanks) and they are $400+, which I will consider but it kinda sucks to spend nearly $500 on a phone that can't get at least 3g.

The HTC Evo is fucking gorgeous but I have qualms about jumping onto sprint service although they are supposed to have the fastest data out of anyone. I might wait to see if they bring out a GSM version of that or else switch to sprint but it fucking sucks I can't just get the phone + service combination I want.