Changing the 202 footprint of 202id and 202kw

Sonny Forelli

Well-known member
May 8, 2008
2,330
89
48
Liberty City
Anyone done this? I'm starting to see more and more affiliates searching for indexed pages searches specficailly targeting inclusion of t202id and t202kw parameters.

For sites that are and need to be indexed has anyone changed these variables accross the board to something unique?

Dumb non-coder question but would it be as simple as a replace all across all files within the 202 folder?
 


Prosper202 Self-Hosted Apps: 10 Best Practices To Securing Your Prosper202 Installation :MasterlessSamurai.com

7) Redirect Your Landing Pages To Clean URLS: In Step 7 of your campaign setup (#7 Get Links), you would normally generate your ad (or keyword) destination URL. The problem with this though is that the variables in the URL (t202id, t202kw), etc…can give a lot away about your campaign structure.

This is especially true if you also use a tool such as Speed PPC in conjunction with Prosper202, which can add even more tokens to the URL (seed, adgroup, keywordtype, etc).

For example, take a URL such as:
“http://www.yourdomain.com/landingpage.php?t202id=1234&t202kw={keyword}&seed=seedkeyword&adgroup=adgroupname&match=broad”

If I saw this URL in the address bar of a landing page, I immediately know:
You’re using Prosper202 to track your conversions = potential profitable affiliate

You’re passing the bidded keyword in the URL {keyword}, which obviously reveals the actual terms you are bidding on.

Tokens like “seed or adgroup” reveal that you are probably using Speed PPC, shows the campaign structure, and the matchtype (broad) being triggered for the search.

This is simply much more campaign information than I want to reveal to my competitors. So using a few tricks, we can still capture the key tracking information, and then redirect the user to a clean URL like:

“404 - Not Found
(I gotta give props to Wes Mahler for helping me get this working)
Do the following to maintain your tracking, but redirect your destination URLS to clean (token free) URLs that spy affiliates can’t openly see:

Create a new file that will act as the redirect landing page. I suggest you name this file something like “lp1.php or landing.php” as to not alert its purposed (ie: don’t call it redirect.php)

In your new redirect landing page (we’ll use lp1.php), add the following:

<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<script>code from step#6 Get LP Code goes here</script><!– js script is called, the visitor is recorded, then redirected to the clean URL –!>
<script type=”text/javascript”> window.location=’http://yourdomain.com/cleanpage.php’;</script>
</body>
</html>

In place of “cleanpage.php”, this will be the true destination where you want your visitors to ultimately end up. If it’s a directory, simply specify the directory path in the script above and add “index.php”.

Be sure to modify the Landing Page URL in Step#4 (Landing Page Setup) to reflect the path to your “lp1.php” file. For example, instead of setting the landing page URL to your former destination:

404 - Not Found, you’ll instead set it to: 404 - Not Found
 
b/c I have a ~20 page site that passes t202id and t202kw from the ad throughout the site as people move from page/section to section and/or click out on multiple offers

thus the variables and parameters are in the url and end up indexed often. Rather than changing this setup if I could simply replace with adid and adkw or any other variation and still have everything work I'd take out a lot of snoopers this way.
 
Is adding a # after .php or something. I couldn't remember exactly what wes said at the a4d meetup but try that out if it tracks correctly.
http://www.yourdomain.com/landingpage.php#?t202id=1234&t202kw={keyword}&seed= seedkeyword&adgroup=adgroupname&match=broad
 
Keep in mind the more scripts and redirects you add, the slower the page loads. This might not be that important in certain cases, but in most, it is. A user will close your dating ad if they see it's take up to 5 seconds to redirect you through a double meta refresh, tracking loaded with a bunch of php tweaks, your brokered network's tracking, to the original network and finally to your landing page (Not to mention maybe even longer. In certain areas of the country/world even broadband is considerably slow). It's a tradeoff that I personally am not going to take but your mileage may vary.

If you see my ad on facebook and see that it's being tracked through 202 and even see the keyword and decide to steal it, all I can say is 'oh well.' As if seeing that an ad is being tracked means that it's profitable or not.. And ads that arn't tracked are never ripped off.
 
no one has answered the question though.

can I simply change t202id and t202kw to - say - myadid and myadkw if I replaced all throughout all the files in the downloaded 202 folder?

wouldn't this in theory work? (probably need to change these in the DB as well- I get that).

Just wanted an answer before I spend a few hours doing this only for some coder to come in and say "you're an idiot- that wouldn't work due to XYZ - don't waste your time"

<or just "you're an idiot" - which is like music to my ears>
 
202 is getting pretty close to LOL. With all of the searching for strings these days, the setup should allow you to specify your own field names for those variables...

Throw everything in your own php redirect before it hits 202, and pass on all the variables. That will hide the use of 202 to anyone searching on Google for the strings, and it's easier than going through the process of changing the actual 202 script. You could, in theory, make all of the changes within the script, but updates and addons might get a bit complicated, and hell, a php redirect is much quicker to do, and pretty much foolproof.
 
As long as you change all instances in all php files, it should work. The database setup might also need to be changed - but looking at it real quick I'm not seeing any keys set as t202kw or t202id though. You would squeak by ok there then (this is with 1.3.2 not 1.5+ at least)

This would work best on a fresh install. Any previous cookies with have the old style t202 names, and old links would be broken.

But as long as everything is consistent, there's no restriction on what you call the variables.
 
no one has answered the question though.

can I simply change t202id and t202kw to - say - myadid and myadkw if I replaced all throughout all the files in the downloaded 202 folder?

wouldn't this in theory work? (probably need to change these in the DB as well- I get that).

Just wanted an answer before I spend a few hours doing this only for some coder to come in and say "you're an idiot- that wouldn't work due to XYZ - don't waste your time"

<or just "you're an idiot" - which is like music to my ears>

I really would not risk it. A lot of 202 logic is in very strange JavaScript calls and if you start hacking it you or your coder could break it really bad. I made some of my own changes and it has been painful. Would rather not touch it unless absolutely necessary.

With rel canonical you can ensure t202id and t202kw will not get into search engine index, so nobody can find your LPs by Googling t202id + your keyword.

If someone sees your ad in the wild, they will have it and your LP anyways...

Hope that helps.
 
I've thought about doing this many times, just been too lazy, and what I would do is a fresh install followed by global search and replace. No reason it shouldn't work, unless there is some ridiculous concatenated eval shit going on like "t202"+"kw" (which im sure there isnt).

sure keeping it out of the search engines is smart, but its also about people who build recon bots and scan redirects for tokens and / or footprinting. Obviously someone can still figure out that you are running 202 by checking for the presence of any of the files it uses but sometimes putting just a few more steps in is enough.

Truthfully though, there is way too much shit to build to just be trying to copy someone else where you have no idea if their campaign is even profitable initially and then if you could get similar results by the time you are more confident that it likely is.