Chord Progressions for Guitar

alvito

New member
Apr 22, 2011
100
0
0
I'm assuming that at least one memeber on WF knows the guitar really very well and could help me out. I have just started to learn about chord progressions and families. What I want to know is whether there is a fixed pattern for which chord would come next (from within the family)

For instance, if I;m playing the C family, then the I-IV-V would be C F G. Now suppose I have to play a fourth chord after this sequence, how can I know which it would be(trial and error is one way or listening and trying to guess the chord is another). But I mean, there has got to be a way of mathematically getting an *almost* accurate chord.

I found this online Examining Chord Progressions - For Dummies

Check out the tables in the above links. I wanted something like this, telling me which chord would be most appropriate next in line. Any genius can help me out and tell me if there is such an methodology?
 


Experiment with the sharps and flats. Go to A# or something from the c-f-g and get bluesy with it. The problem is that in order to look at it mathematically with 1-8, you come up with some cookie cutter stuff. Study some blues scales and you will see a whole new world. Also, just listen to it man..if it sounds like shit dont play that chord...almost as easy as that.
 
There's differing thoughts on this, from myriad perspectives. But the most established is the "Nashville Number System". It is rather easy to wrap your head around as well.

Also, I believe the CAGED system deals with this.
 
uh what?

There are common chord progressions, but you can pretty much play whatever you want, whenever you want as long as it sounds good.

If you're playing a I-IV-V then you should hear that the V wants to resolve to the I, so there's your 4th chord. You could also sub something for the I chord. In C, try playing an Aminor or Eminor.

Learn more about the chord tones, that explains more about how/why things can resolve more than that I/ii/IV/V stuff
 
i just slay what ever scale sounds good to my ears that day. Never got into chords or progressions and families, but youtube has been an awesome resource and the guitar grimore books are great too.
 
uh what?

There are common chord progressions, but you can pretty much play whatever you want, whenever you want as long as it sounds good.

If you're playing a I-IV-V then you should hear that the V wants to resolve to the I, so there's your 4th chord. You could also sub something for the I chord. In C, try playing an Aminor or Eminor.

Learn more about the chord tones, that explains more about how/why things can resolve more than that I/ii/IV/V stuff

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j66tVEPI92Y&feature=related]YouTube - Nashville Number System - Nashville Fire[/ame]
 
Can someone tell me why is it that certain scales have sharps?

Like c maj scale has 0 sharps
G maj scale has 1 sharp
D maj scale has 2 sharps etc...


I can't for the life of me understand why the sharps come into the picture....
 
Can someone tell me why is it that certain scales have sharps?

Like c maj scale has 0 sharps
G maj scale has 1 sharp
D maj scale has 2 sharps etc...


I can't for the life of me understand why the sharps come into the picture....


There are 12 musical notes: A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#

You're eventually going to use all of them, heh

A major scale consists of these intervals:

whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step

C Major: C D E F G A B

E Major: E F# G# A# B C# D#

(same intervals used in both scales, causing you to use more #'s in E and none in C)