My family was solidly middle class when I was growing up. Both parents had jobs that they absolutely had to go to. We lived comfortably, in our own home, and took regular trips and so on, but there was little "luxury" other than a new computer every now and then.
I was a little drunk last night and looking over my stats and I started thinking a little bit about what makes someone "upper class?" "Lower upper class?" "Upper middle class?"
I'm fairly sure that income alone doesn't dictate class status, especially if that income depends on someone else's benevolence. Banker guy making $200k a year loses his job, can't get another one, is forced to take a teaching position to keep his house...he's not upper class but isn't quite middle class, either. And just about any high-paying job puts the employee in that situation.
The guy making $20,000 a year off investment dividends and living in a 3rd world country like a king...is he upper class? He doesn't have to work if he doesn't want to. He's got a maid and a bigass apartment on the beach, so he has all the trappings, but can you really consider him upper class?
So what class do you consider yourself in right now, and what about your situation puts you in that class?
I was a little drunk last night and looking over my stats and I started thinking a little bit about what makes someone "upper class?" "Lower upper class?" "Upper middle class?"
I'm fairly sure that income alone doesn't dictate class status, especially if that income depends on someone else's benevolence. Banker guy making $200k a year loses his job, can't get another one, is forced to take a teaching position to keep his house...he's not upper class but isn't quite middle class, either. And just about any high-paying job puts the employee in that situation.
The guy making $20,000 a year off investment dividends and living in a 3rd world country like a king...is he upper class? He doesn't have to work if he doesn't want to. He's got a maid and a bigass apartment on the beach, so he has all the trappings, but can you really consider him upper class?
So what class do you consider yourself in right now, and what about your situation puts you in that class?