Do you have something to hide?

wezcountry

New member
Aug 31, 2009
1,788
22
0
In the EUSSR
During a long and protracted divorce I took to hiding folders and files etc and used a product called universal shield. I still use it years later. Was wondering if you guys encrypt your shit and hide it away and if so what tool you use?

I do a lot of work on a laptop and travel quite a bit so if it gets stolen no one can read my hate mail etc. A tech-head onc told me about encrypting the whole damned drive and slapping a password at the bios level, but that made me nervous.

I checked out similar software but none seemed as discreet as universal shield.

(btw, I'm not an affilitate for universal shield - I tried once but they didn't have a program and anyway the commission is peanuts!)

wez
 


For windows clients the general recommendation is TrueCrypt. It works, it's simple, and it's fast enough.

For a file server you can still use TrueCrypt, but it's generally better to setup a Loop-AES partition. If multiple people need access to the files you can separate the keys so it takes two people to mount the partition, and essentially the drive is as good as junk if the server is ever turned off if you don't have the key.

Personally I don't worry about encryption on my laptop. The chances are if my laptop is stolen it's going to be by some junkie who is going to trip out at Fedora being installed and isn't even going to bother trying to get in. If someone does get in, well that is what servers and IDS is for.

Oh, somewhat offtopic though... Pin code is a must on any phone, and passwords on any desktop. Bitches will go through your shit and should not be trusted. Chances are even if you have nothing to hide she is still going to freak out when she sees shit like colon cleansers, weight loss, penis pills, or any other offers you've been pushing all through your history.
 
Truecrypt for general safe practice. Don't know if it will keep the feds away though. Sensitive stuff gets hidden in encrypted rar files on random CDs.
 
yeah my phone has a pin (after a nasty lesson) and my laptop has a 10 character password.

Course if you're on a mac you can use 1Password to manage all your passwords, essentially what it does is , you use a master password for the password manager (which could be your 10 char password ), 1Password when you goto change a password, or create an account either on the web or an application's dialog generates a much bigger password (around 32 characters) as the input. So basically for anyone who doesn't physically have your laptop, they'd have to figure out this 32 character long passwords, all of them being different from each other, otherwise if they did get your lappy then its the 10char you use all the time.

Password Manager + Automatic Form Filler for Mac OS X

I think its mac-only btw.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DewChugr
The more passwords the better really. I use truecrypt but also have passwords on just about every single folder and program that has sensitive information because most people won't be able to get past just breaking a simple password. If you use firefox I would also reccomend using a password to open up your saved passwords. The biggest problem most IM's have is with FTP from what I have seen so an SSL is key. The biggest thing that has saved me trouble is just changing my passwords once a month as stolen bank account passwords etc take a good 4-6 weeks to go through the selling system on the black market before they are used.