Going to Pittsburgh

Rage9

Banned
Jan 7, 2008
6,061
101
0
Going to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with a friend this Sunday to deliver a car he just sold. We are flying out the next day so not like we are going to have a ton of time there (considering it's like a 9 hour drive from Milwaukee). However we are looking for something cool to do, eat at, and maybe drink at.

We don't even know where we are staying yet, we like the excitment of not knowing. However we'd love any recomendations. P.S. We love to drink, and drink hard.
 


gotta hit Primanti Brothers downtown in the Strip District, where you will also find quite a few bars. Then hit South Side on the other side of the river, that is where the lively night life is.
 
Ahh rage you a college football fan? big game that saturday. Pitt vs Cinci @Pitt, winner goes to BCS game. Suppose to be the hottest ticket in town (i have some buddies going).

And BTW i believe you kicked my teams ass in our WF Fantasy Football league haha.
 
Ahh rage you a college football fan? big game that saturday. Pitt vs Cinci @Pitt, winner goes to BCS game. Suppose to be the hottest ticket in town (i have some buddies going).

And BTW i believe you kicked my teams ass in our WF Fantasy Football league haha.

Haha @ fantasy football playoffs here I come! In all honesty, I'd be surprised if we had time after 7pm the day we got down there. There is no way we could catch a football game down there (as awesome as that would be). However any suggestion is a decent suggestion.

Keep em coming. We aren't new to traveling, but new areas are hard to get anything done on such short notice.
 
+1, maybe twice even. Can still make the playoffs with a win this week and some help, c'mon Peds!!!

The wierd thing is my team is only 6-6, but I'm going to make the playoffs. I'm not going to win though unless my team pulls its head out out of it's ass.
 
A visit to Quaker Steak & Lube (::: Quaker Steak & Lube ::: - there is also one at Heinz field) is a must. Best Wings south of Buffalo.

I think buying and eating one of the Primanti Bros. sandwiches is compulsory as well- because they are all topped with french fries and cole slaw. I did it, to say that I've done it, but I have to be honest... it wasn't my thing. (Though I've heard that it's great hangover food).

If you are drinking in Pittsburgh you must have an Iron City Beer. No negotiating room on this one.

Bars: Go to the Strip District.
Food: Primanti Bros or Quaker Steak & Lube
Beer: Iron City (at least try one)
 
You MUST go to Churchworks Brewery/Restaurant anytime you go to Pittsburgh. They bought an old Catholic church and converted it into a brewery/restaurant. The brewing takes place on the altar - cool as shit. Awesome food and drink. If you don't go there you are a failure.


edited to add: Oh shit son - can't believe I forgot to mention Fatheads! Another must for sure. And take a drive up to the top of Mount Washington to get a view of the city. Pittsburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the country with the terrain and bridges. The vision of a grimy steel city is long gone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Firelead
Have a friend who goes to Pittsburgh regularly, he says every place puts fries in sandwiches. He said one place even put fries in a salad. Steak/french fries/lettuce/salad dressing? Dunno how I feel about that.
 
OK here's my review (I've lived in and around the city for 10 years).

Definitely check out the South Side. There's a HolidayInn close to all the bars, though I've never stayed there. You also might want to check out the college area in Oakland. Pitt and CMU are both in Oakland, and there are also plenty of bars in that area for the students and a few nice hotels.
Downtown shuts down at 5pm practically - no nightlife.

If you are flying out - the airport is actually far east outside the city. The high end hotels will have shuttles to the airport, and cab fare is going to cost about $40 from the SouthSide to the Airport.

When it comes to food, I would check out Mad Mex: Mad Mex
There's a lot of locations around and in the city. It's great tex-mex - large portions - giant margaritas - and awesome burritos.

In the Southside I would check out the Double Wide Grill. Double Wide Grill, Pittsburgh, PA if you like ribs, wood fired grill food, and microbeers.

In the Strip check out Church Brew Works, Award-Winning Microbrewery and Restaurant The Church Brew Works. Its a microbrewery and restaurant - expensive but very good. They brew a ton of beer there and its a cool atmosphere (old church).


Primanti Brothers is terrible and its like eating greasy scraps of pig slop.
 
You MUST go to Churchworks Brewery/Restaurant anytime you go to Pittsburgh. They bought an old Catholic church and converted it into a brewery/restaurant. The brewing takes place on the altar - cool as shit. Awesome food and drink. If you don't go there you are a failure.


edited to add: Oh shit son - can't believe I forgot to mention Fatheads! Another must for sure. And take a drive up to the top of Mount Washington to get a view of the city. Pittsburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the country with the terrain and bridges. The vision of a grimy steel city is long gone.


Agree. +Rep
 
You MUST go to Churchworks Brewery/Restaurant anytime you go to Pittsburgh. They bought an old Catholic church and converted it into a brewery/restaurant. The brewing takes place on the altar - cool as shit. Awesome food and drink. If you don't go there you are a failure.


edited to add: Oh shit son - can't believe I forgot to mention Fatheads! Another must for sure. And take a drive up to the top of Mount Washington to get a view of the city. Pittsburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the country with the terrain and bridges. The vision of a grimy steel city is long gone.
I second Church Brew Works & Fatheads. Church Brew Works is a cool place to eat (it's a full Church, compete with brewery on the altar), and they have some good brews they make themselves. Fatheads has a ridiculous beer selection, and tasty burgers.
When it comes to food, I would check out Mad Mex: Mad Mex
There's a lot of locations around and in the city. It's great tex-mex - large portions - giant margaritas - and awesome burritos.

I'll second that too, for the food and margaritas.

Fuel & Fuddle, restaurant and bar had some good beer, if I recall, and half price appetizers after a certain time.
 
I agree with Johu too about Fuel and Fuddle. They have awesome sandwiches and you can get them with sweet potato fries.
All the popular restaurants in Oakland (Fuel and Fuddle, India Garden, Mad Mex and some others) are half price after 11pm (not including alcohol) .
 
Also, hit up The Waffle Shop if you're around when it's open. It was started as a CMU art in the community project, and I know a few people who went to CMU and worked on launching the Waffle Shop - Late night tasty waffles + interesting drunk people at night once the Shadow Lounge next door gets out. I never got to try it, but they make (or used to make) a full breakfast waffle, with eggs, cheese, and bacon in the waffle. Other specials include a banana foster waffle, pb&j waffle, and an apple pie waffle.
 
Honestly, if your coming in early on Sunday, just find a parking spot throw on some black and gold and tailgate for a few. It's a home game this week so it will be off it down by Heinz Field.