Google local maps - No web tech industries allowed...

So about 6 months ago, for whatever reason, I assume it was because people were manipulating the results, but Google removed all tech from local search results.

So, for example, if you search for this you get local maps. But if you search for this, you get nothing.


Its like that for anything tech related: web design, SEO, video production, graphic design, ETC.

Does anyone know the story behind this?


EDIT: Same deal if you search for city specific like "new york web design" still gets no maps.
 


This may help - Google to SEO’s, Designers & Advertising Agents: You are Off the Map! | Understanding Google Maps & Local Search

Today, we’re intentionally showing less local results for web design / SEO queries. For example, [web design sacramento] doesn’t display local listings today. We believe this is an accurate representation of user intent. In some cases, we do show local listings, however (as NSNA/php-er noted) [web design in bellingham]. I’m sure some of you feel we should be displaying local results for queries like [Web Design Vancouver]. I understand that concern, but based on our understanding of our users, we feel this is the right decision for now.
 
Google's kinda random with what triggers the 7 pack. I still haven't quite figured out what makes it show up and what doesn't. Try logging out and searching and see if it shows after that.