Google Search Appliance



I doubt they use exactly the same tech for a local indexing system that could easily be broken down as the one that powers their billion dollar crawling system.

If you buy one and figure it out be sure to post it all here tough. :food-smiley-002:
 
I don't think it will be easy to reverse-engineer the appliance, since most of the code is compiled (you think Google just runs their shit in PHP code?). Also, I'm betting most services (FTP/SSH/etc.) are disabled to prevent unauthorized access to any code.

Ripping out the hard drive and cloning might work... but they could just encrypt the whole thing.
 
Rofl.

Microsoft offers a software version of their search server. I think it was called like sharepoint search or something like that. It does what google appliance is supposed to .... but in a soft version. Did I mention it was free?
 
GSA uses a simplified and older version of Google's algo. You won't learn a lot about the current Google's algo by reverse engineering a GSA.
 
there is no chance in hell that google would release the GSA with their current algo. it's probably an older, less complex version. would be fun to take a weekend and attack the thing though...