Health insurance

@ i'm in the process of getting quotes now and will see what i hear back from various providers, but i'm GUESSING my best bet will be a group plan through some sort of association, since i won't get dinged for my condition that way.

i need to look into COBRA, but since i have primo health insurance right now with low out of pocket expenses, i'm guessing the premiums are pretty high.

In my state, any association "group" plan is individual underwritten. They have these BS marketing associations with names that sound like the "Small Business Assoociation", but are really the Small Business Organization (or something like that). It is mostly just marketing.

@buying across state lines - And even if you could buy health insurance across state lines, they will still provide rates by zip code. i.e. one zip code in suburban Houston (even) has different rates than an urban Houston zip code sometimes. And I'm guessing with that much of a premium difference, you aren't comparing apples to apples.

And that Republican brilliance will not solve the problem of people getting declined who have pre-existing conditions. Really one of my biggest frustrations with writing health policies was the cheesy reasons insurers would use to decline people or rider any pre-existing condition.

Really find somebody experienced in your local area. Right now, almsot everything is regulated at the state level, and plans you can buy are realy local . Most of what I would know about Texas insurance would not be true in New Jersey or New York - and it will probably also not be true in 6 months.
 


Even more good advice.

I actually may look into the Coast Guard thing. It actually sounds kind of fun, plus chicks dig military men :)

Of course, a quick Google search for "coast guard reserve" reveals how incompetent the military is at SEO. Try it yourself and be amazed at the shit results you get. I've started digging around but haven't found any info on their health insurance yet...

As always, more research needed.
 
I also have a pre existing condition, Hyper active thyroid. What I did when applied, I'd said "the hell I will said nothing about this shit, i don't care". I applied, get approved, then after a month they found some of my records so they put me on a 1-year pre-existing condition where everything related to thyroid was not covered. After a year everything went back normal and now they are covering everything. It's weird since I got radioactive iodine therapy and that shit increases chance of cancer, btw, I also have a cancer insurance. I don't know if this is a good advice, but what I mean is I took the chance and thank God everything is OK and a few years have past (since 2007). Also, you can get a HSA (Health Savings Account) the money you put on that account will be used for all your medical expenses and it's 100% deductible from your income tax but it has a max deductible of like $4,000 or something.
 
My parents are self-employed and their premiums just jumped to over $20,000/yr for catastrophic only coverage.

That is truly fricken shocking! Just when you think it sucks being a Canadian...I'm really sorry to hear those kind of numbers. I can't imagine how the gov't expects anyone to survive with rates like that.
 
NASE is a scam. Don't go near them.

I just got denied for a bullshit reason. I'm on COBRA, and the premiums are killing me, but at least I have insurance. I've been looking for a group plan, and it looks like it's true that it's a myth.

Thanks for the thread, and good luck!

Thanks, Grindhard - good thread.
Thanks, pharmhand. (Apt name - are you a pharma affiliate or something?)

I figured as much, and I think COBRA probably is my best bet for now. I'm also thinking an association would be a good way to go, since you can buy insurance at a group rate. The only one I really know of is NASE (national association for self employed) though I hear their health insurance program is a scam.

Any other opinions out there? I feel like there must be a legit, high-value association for young entrepreneurs like ourselves that offers health insurance :)
 
Update for anyone who's interested.

I just looked into it, and am 90% sure I can continue my current coverage (which is top notch) through COBRA for <$400 / month - not too shabby considering I was thinking along the lines of $1k / month for shitty coverage :) Plus, since I'm in California I can get COBRA for 3 years. I need to check with my employer, but if that pans out then problem solved!

Plan B is to contact a Coast Guard Reserve recruiter (seriously).
 
wtf ^^, instead of that.. why not hustle more affiliate shit and make more monies so that your insurance costs is not so much a huge deal?
 
Update for anyone who's interested.

I just looked into it, and am 90% sure I can continue my current coverage (which is top notch) through COBRA for <$400 / month - not too shabby considering I was thinking along the lines of $1k / month for shitty coverage :) Plus, since I'm in California I can get COBRA for 3 years. I need to check with my employer, but if that pans out then problem solved!

Plan B is to contact a Coast Guard Reserve recruiter (seriously).

i wish our cobra was 3 years, thats awesome
 
Plus, since I'm in California I can get COBRA for 3 years. I need to check with my employer, but if that pans out then problem solved!

Fed COBRA is for 18 months.

Cal-COBRA extends COBRA benefits for another 18 months - only if your employer is CA based.

I used to work from CA for an org that was based in a different state, so my COBRA only lasted for 18 months.

Good luck.
 
wtf ^^, instead of that.. why not hustle more affiliate shit and make more monies so that your insurance costs is not so much a huge deal?

i gotta agree with that. Hustle and make $xx,xxx a month and the $1k premium will look small.
 
true about the hustle, but i still prefer not to get my pants pulled down over shit like that so paying $1k / mo for health insurance would probably annoy me even if i were a millionaire, though to your point i wouldn't worry about it too much.

and my employer's based in CA so no worries there.
 
Become a member of your town's local Chamber of Commerce. Then get your Health Insurance through the Chamber...
 
Canada and Australia FTW


and Fuck those Mother fucking insurance companies, there greedy CEO's and the lobbyists they roll with

FUCK THEM WE SHOULD BURN IT ALL DOWN AND BUILD IT BACK UP THE WAY WE WANT IT WOULD HAPPEN MUCH FASTER THEN 2014!!!!!!