How does shaving work?

AffApprentice

New member
Nov 19, 2009
180
4
0
Hold the flames, please, I know this question is borderline newb but I need to know!

I was seeing consistent conversion rates on a profitable campaign for ~2 weeks, then suddenly this week my CRs took a 30% hit even though I hadn't changed anything with my campaign, and the offer page didn't change. I asked my AM about it and he said he suspected shaving, and that if I switched to better traffic they'd stop doing it. So I guess I have a couple questions:

1. How does shaving physically happen (typically)? Does someone at the advertiser enter a .7 multiplier on my leads, so that 3 out of 10 aren't counted? If I'm sending "bad traffic" why wouldn't they just shut down my conversions altogether? Guessing there's some sort of standard practice to just dial back instead of shut off so that the affiliate doesn't notice and sends them free leads...

2. If I switch to the traffic they've deemed "good", how will I know whether they've stopped shaving me? I can't compare apples-to-apples against my previous CRs because obviously that was targeting a different demo.


I'm thinking I should probably just stop running the offer, but am wondering if there's a way to "come back" from shaving, as I've been making good money with this offer and so would prefer to fix things and blow it up rather than dumping it and starting over.

Advice appreciated.
 


normally it should be:

one for you, one for you, one for you, one for you, one for you, one for me, one for you... and so on

well now your advertiser is like:

one for me, one for you, one for me, one for me, one for me, one for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUiEJQd48M8

there you are. thats how it works.
 
I've had weird stuff happen where campaign goes from 1% conversions to 0.2% in a few days... So I started working and I improved the conversion to 0.8% and in a few days it fell back to 0.2%

Weird eh?
 
Shaving is the reason five Blondes hang around your neck during the yearly network Playboy Mansion Party

... :) [at least, that's what most say]
 
Shaving is the reason five Blondes hang around your neck during the yearly network Playboy Mansion Party

... :) [at least, that's what most say]

+rep
Haha that shit goes straight to my sig :costumed-smiley-015.
 
fGuyStewieShavingAss_v1f_72.jpg
 
This must be a joke thread right.

Cause if a rep told you to send better traffic so they could shave you less. I would screen cap that and post it here.
 
shaving is just that they dont report all leads/whatever you generate. "physically" it's just manipulation of however they track what you send.