If you had a volunteer, bot net army...

CLKeenan

Banned
Jun 24, 2006
2,506
14
0
Boston, MA
what would you have them do for you to promote your site? The first things that come to mind is digg any article you do, submit your sites to social bookmarking sites, comment on blogs, etc?
 


Indians are cheap for social bookmarking, and there's only so much of that you can do really. Digging your articles is one hell of a good way to go though.

Maybe some more black hat stuff abusing traffic logs on other sites. Like traffic "exchanges" and stuff. I doubt that converts very well though.

Think about ways to do things you wouldn't normally do. Anything like social bookmarking submission wouldn't be worth much and doesn't make good use of the multiple IPs.

Except perhaps voting you up on those social bookmarking sites. First page on every site?

Edit: I gotta add though this is some shady shit.
 
Well, its a little less shady because I'd be telling the users exactly what the program would be doing.

I don't want the users to do anything that could be considered blackhat by their actions alone. For example, digging an article I dugg, not shady... entering random info on a CPA offer, definitely shady.

I'm really only interested in having them complete actions that would promote my website.

Does that make sense?
 
I see this would be like SETI@Home for your users?

That's actually a great idea.

Edit: or would it not be automated and be actually "volunteer"?
 
Would having them email/facebook post/twitter update all of their friends my URL count as shady?

Because that's exactly what I'd have them do.
 
I see this would be like SETI@Home for your users?

That's actually a great idea.

Edit: or would it not be automated and be actually "volunteer"?

My original idea is that they would volunteer by downloading the bot and running it on their computer with full knowledge of what the program would be doing.

I don't really want it to involve messing with a users personal social networking profiles because that could be considered shady. However, I might consider having a couple different bots with varying levels of personal info usage. e.g. one that uses facebook, another that doesn't.
 
Probably a lame idea, but if it were a SHIT LOAD of people/IPs, maybe make the bot google some keywords and click on your results. This could maybe help you rank better in the SERPs according to what I've heard about the changes Google are making to the algos.
 
If you're referring to cookie stuffing, that's not something I really want to get into considering that would be shady and not really be promoting my site. I want to keep this thing high brow
 
What is your user demographic and what's a rough estimated number of installs you anticipate?
 
If you want to stay legit the only thing random people have of value is their computers processing power and their personal contacts etc. The best thing you can do is to get all of them to digg/stumble/facebook/share your stuff.
 
bluescreen.jpg


To make this go away follow instructions or it shail be back

then of of them to show that you are serous:

blue-screen.jpg


(the instructions are what the user needs to do, it can vary... )