Is it possible to work 100% "In the Cloud"?

Is it possible to work 100% "In the Cloud?"

  • Yes

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No

    Votes: 12 54.5%

  • Total voters
    22
With Google gears so you can work on your emails offline etc it's getting better. I do some development so I need my desktop IDE, but other than that I try and put everything in the cloud as I want to be able to travel and work on the go soon, so if something happens to my laptop there's minimal hassles getting going again.
 


Couldn't you run every piece of software (non-mac) from a dedicated box and remote into it?
Yes you can. I've done it myself. -I'm looking at doing it with Amazon Instances next.

-But of course your own business model may require different software than mine, so there could be some cases where a software isn't installable on the windows server platform. (Don't know of any.)
 
Couldn't you run every piece of software (non-mac) from a dedicated box and remote into it?

Yes I can. I am running some of my applications on EC2

I can run anything in my own computer but when using a public cloud that's provided by a 3rd party I can not run the software that violates the TOS of the cloud provider (Amazon is an Example).

Remember your instance can always be accessed or monitored by the cloud provider.

Obviously most/some of the Internet marketing tools are not going to comply with their TOS :)

100% relaying on cloud means we are going to use the browser also from the cloud (not our PC). Very good opportunity for google, facebook, adcenter, etc to fuck us.
 
I'm not a fan of cloud apps at all...There's very little integration with your other apps. Where as the desktop know what you have and it offers to open that file with the proper app.

My current thing is desktop/cloud app combinations. Desktop app is constantly syncing with the cloud. Then I can sync other computers with the cloud and bring it back down onto that computer. I still prefer native applications as home computers have become so cheap and powerful it doesn't make that much sense to rely 100% on the cloud. But syncing is a must, and that is where the cloud kinda wins, since it's always there and you can access it from anywhere.
 
My current thing is desktop/cloud app combinations. Desktop app is constantly syncing with the cloud. Then I can sync other computers with the cloud and bring it back down onto that computer. I still prefer native applications as home computers have become so cheap and powerful it doesn't make that much sense to rely 100% on the cloud. But syncing is a must, and that is where the cloud kinda wins, since it's always there and you can access it from anywhere.

Office 2010 does this. I have documents stored on Microsoft Skydrive (like dropbox but 25gb and FREE!), just have to go to office.live.com, find the document I want and then click 'open in Excel' or whatever it is and local Excel fires up and it automatically syncs that doc back to Skydrive as I work on it. Microsoft have some fuckin' great things out there, people shouldn't write them off so quickly.
 
Office 2010 does this. I have documents stored on Microsoft Skydrive (like dropbox but 25gb and FREE!), just have to go to office.live.com, find the document I want and then click 'open in Excel' or whatever it is and local Excel fires up and it automatically syncs that doc back to Skydrive as I work on it. Microsoft have some fuckin' great things out there, people shouldn't write them off so quickly.

But you have to already have that file in your skydrive...I tried really hard a few months ago to switch over my one computer I use for school to mostly cloud apps so that I can access them on any school computer, my school computer or my desktop.

Cloud works wonderful when you're using everything inside one companies suites... Ex. Google Apps or Windows Live...But what happens when I get an xlsx file emailed to me and I want to open it in word because google's version sucks? You need to download it, reupload it, then run it on the cloud app...

I Found it a lot easier to just install the desktop apps, and keep those files in a folder and sync them with dropbox, mesh, or mobileme, or many of the others out there. Then I have them everywhere I'm at on my cloud drive, but generally when I use them it's off of a desktop program, not cloud, but I still have the option for cloud.
 
^^^ Edit....

Cloud works wonderful when you're using everything inside one companies suites... Ex. Google Apps or Windows Live...But what happens when I get an xlsx file emailed to me and I want to open it in excel because google's version sucks? You need to download it, reupload it, then run it on the cloud app...