Joomla or other CMS

magicberry

Freshly Roasted
Dec 17, 2008
782
5
0
Australia
I am currently tossing up which is the better option to use for affiliate marketing. I have done some joomla sites and a couple of wordpress sites... I am wanting to know what other members on this forum think... and dont worry about putting dumb shit up because that is not the point of this particular topic...


let me know what you believe... I will take all feedback on board and then where possible help put back to this community.
 


drupal I have not had much to do with but Joomla I have had a bit... wordpress I am not overly confident on I think it is a lack of knowledge in it...

why do people use wordpress over joomla? is it an seo thing or is it a speed thing with generating new sites with content?

I personally believe Joomla in the long run would out perform wordpress especially with the community support but I am willing to give anything a go....

I do appreciate the quick responses and good feedback... thanks
 
I've never used Drupal but heard it's really good once you learn it. I think Joomla is pretty good although the code is a piece of shit and probably full of lots of security vulnerabilities. I also don't like how most of the good Joomla plugins are commercial.

Now let's move on to Wordpress. As you might know already, you can use Wordpress as a CMS. There are many plugins available to use it as a CMS. I think the community for Wordpress is a lot bigger than the others (so it seems). Either decision you make, I think any one of these solutions will do the job.
 
Personal preference really.
Drupal is hard to wrap your head around at first. It's a very complicated system but also very powerful. Drupal has a larger share of big sites (Case studies | drupal.org).

Both Drupal and Joomla are content management programs while Wordpress is a blogging platform.

For community sites, company intranet portals, e-commerce (ubercart), etc then I would use Drupal.
If you want something simpler and want to pump out sites quickly, use WP.
 
If you are using a CMS for affiliate marketing, then the issue is "How do I get a lot of content up, fast and easy, with good SEO that looks professional?" The answer I have seen on a lot of affiliate sites is Wordpress.

Joomla and Drupal are for larger sites with lots of fancy features. If you just want to post content that explains a product, sells a product, gets someone to understand a product and not much else, you can't beat wordpress for ROI of time.

There are several sites that specialize in WP templates for affiliate sites. Take a look around and you will probably find something for free or cheap that will be great for your project.

As you can tell from my sig, I loves Joomla. But it's all about getting the tool to fit the job - so for pure content in a simple structure, I'd go WP.
 
in my opinion for most things related to basic ( and somehow advanced if you want to play with WP custom fields ) affiliate sites wordpress is the best option you have

easy to customize
easy and quick to install and configure
tons of plugins for anything you might need ( mask links, sitemaps etc )

that said wordpress is just an extremely flexible blogging/content platform, other cmss like drupal or joomla have way more features and plugins, but as far as I've seen they're complicated to understand or customize ( at least joomla, I've never worked with drupal )

whichever cms you pick make sure it has an active user community
 
this has been really great feedback and very overwhelming. I am thinking that wordpress seems to be the go and the best solution... Thank you for your advice guys.
 
I hate joomla as it always gets hacked if u dont constantly update to newer version but drupal is harder to learn and needs more work initially but it is great and super powerful. Even whitehouse site runs on drupal