Long ass landing pages vs short n sweet

Myler

the horror.
Apr 25, 2009
531
6
0
G16
Been thinkin bout it...I did some landing pages in my days and they were always pasted with a long lines of texts.

I know Im not supposed to project my outlooks on customers (I personally hate reading anything past 3 sentences) but is it really true people read all the text and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll before they cough up 20 bucks or so for something thats selling via landing page (ebooks or whatever)
 


Been thinkin bout it...I did some landing pages in my days and they were always pasted with a long lines of texts.

I know Im not supposed to project my outlooks on customers (I personally hate reading anything past 3 sentences) but is it really true people read all the text and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll before they cough up 20 bucks or so for something thats selling via landing page (ebooks or whatever)
Obviously they work, or people wouldn't use them as often as they do.

Like Jeffrey said, it depends. High ticket items tend to require a little more convincing compared to a $20 ebook, let's say, but it still depends.
 
I doubt anybody really reads the whole thing anway. My guess is a long pages acts as some sort of signal - the product must have some merit if they can say all that stuff about it and ooh the bullet points and break out boxes make it sound really exciting.

It's going to depend on the traffic though, how much they know already about the product, who's sent them and have they pre-endorsed or seen other endoresments elsewhere, how eager they are to buy before they land, price as a variable risk factor etc etc.

Consider this

McGrunins Stock straddling tactics guide guaranteed to make you money even if they bomb ~$20

vs

Creators youtube adsense earning guide, make $114,000 just like me ~$97
 
I doubt anybody really reads the whole thing anway. My guess is a long pages acts as some sort of signal - the product must have some merit if they can say all that stuff about it and ooh the bullet points and break out boxes make it sound really exciting.

It's going to depend on the traffic though, how much they know already about the product, who's sent them and have they pre-endorsed or seen other endoresments elsewhere, how eager they are to buy before they land, price as a variable risk factor etc etc.

Consider this

McGrunins Stock straddling tactics guide guaranteed to make you money even if they bomb ~$20

vs

Creators youtube adsense earning guide, make $114,000 just like me ~$97
Good points. The lower their objections going in, the more likely they are to skim through, looking for the information (guarantees, social proof, and other risk-relievers) that will help them break down their objections. This is why all long form sales letters should be optimized for skimming, using subheadlines, bullets, and other things yoyo mentioned. Of course, it should also be written as if the whole thing will be read.
 
Even though it's $20, if you are dealing with cheap customers, you will have more convincing to do. Start with what your competitors are doing and raise the bar.
 
I guess you can't change the way masses think...

I always wanted to make the most rude, obnoxious, "hey there ya lazy fat tub of shit cunt" type of sales page...but...I didn't :)
 
In my niche (debt) I already ran this test.. I finalized on using a 4 page lander. Page 1 asks a stupid question, as does page 2 and 3. Then 4th requests info. Works much better compared to my short and sweet lander that everyone else uses...
 
15 minutes video presentations work best in our niche. But we are selling $500 yearly subscriptions.
 
If you have a long sales page be sure to include "Buy Now" buttons in each area, that way if you have already convinced someone to buy while using a long sales page they will have the opportunity to do so rather than having to scroll down to the bottom of the page.
 
Really, the answer to about anything IM related is split testing. If you run enough tests, you'll figure out what works. Just remember to always be optimizing. If you're not always testing at least one element of your landing page you aren't doing enough.