Long distance rifle?

dmnEPC

New member
Dec 23, 2010
5,994
95
0
So with all the gun junkies on WF I was wondering if any of you guys do any long distance shooting? I am looking at getting a new rifle that can reach out and touch some thing/one. Have pretty much fallen in love with the Barret MRAD 338 Lapua.
tbNEt.jpg
just not sure I want to plunk down $8k (with optics & accessories) on it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjgiRR9FoZw]Barrett MRAD .338 Lapua Magnum Sniper Rifle - YouTube[/ame]

Basically looking to start shooting 500 to a 1000 yards and want to find a decent weapon system with out going to crazy. Any other suggestions?
 


that firepower isn't neccessary, it's overkill. any target u would need that kind of weaponry for will kill u before u can aim the thing. in any anarchy situation you're not going to be rambo out in the woods in camo. get a ruger 10-22. it's light, compact and powerful enough for killing a small group. not a goddamn town of innocent brown people in the desert which is what that weapon is ideal for. also you can hunt great with it.
 
that firepower isn't neccessary, it's overkill. any target u would need that kind of weaponry for will kill u before u can aim the thing. in any anarchy situation you're not going to be rambo out in the woods in camo. get a ruger 10-22. it's light, compact and powerful enough for killing a small group. not a goddamn town of innocent brown people in the desert which is what that weapon is ideal for. also you can hunt great with it.

Lol anyone looking for something like this already has a 22 so that's about the dumbest thing I have read this week. And btw your 22 is far from an ideal hunting rifle if you want to hunt anything that weighs over 5 pounds unless you enjoy taking animals in a unhumane manor.

This has nothing to do with anarchy as I mentioned in the OP just looking to learn a new skill and take up a new hobby with long distance shooting. It's ignorant people like you that makes this more and more difficult in this world. There are millions of gun owners who have zero intention of killing anyone
 
First off, you're not no dam sniper. Secondly, why drop $8k on a rifle when you probably havent trained properly in wind measurements, you'll probably buy store bought ammo, can't control your breathing, etc... I'm mostly a 9mm and ar-15 guy, but I have 308's and 30.06's for more "stopping power" and longer ranges. My ar-15's have been adjusted for both close combat then of course I have longer-range ar-15's to touch 500+ yards using 20'' bull barrels amongst other specs I put on them. I also reload most of my own ammo as a hobby and for accuracy/reliability.

If you're properly trained and have the right bullet, a 308 and a 30.06 will easily reach 1,000 rounds if you're properly trained. You can buy these for like $500 bucks stock then work on $1,000+ scopes if that's what you wanna do. Just my thoughts.
 
First off, you're not no dam sniper. Secondly, why drop $8k on a rifle when you probably havent trained properly in wind measurements, you'll probably buy store bought ammo, can't control your breathing, etc... I'm mostly a 9mm and ar-15 guy, but I have 308's and 30.06's for more "stopping power" and longer ranges. My ar-15's have been adjusted for both close combat then of course I have longer-range ar-15's to touch 500+ yards using 20'' bull barrels amongst other specs I put on them. I also reload most of my own ammo as a hobby and for accuracy/reliability.

If you're properly trained and have the right bullet, a 308 and a 30.06 will easily reach 1,000 rounds if you're properly trained. You can buy these for like $500 bucks stock then work on $1,000+ scopes if that's what you wanna do. Just my thoughts.

Do you have a good place for ammo reloading? I've been thinking about loading my own .223 since it gets expensive to shoot.
 
yeah, the springfield 30-06, the .308 or even the lapua mag would be good stopping power for larger game ( since you have a 22 already it seems for smaller ).

As said above, the savage or remington models would be best

If you just have the need for higher end, but dont wanna spend 8k, find a M24 from a remington dealer for about $5k
 
First off, you're not no dam sniper. Secondly, why drop $8k on a rifle when you probably havent trained properly in wind measurements, you'll probably buy store bought ammo, can't control your breathing, etc... I'm mostly a 9mm and ar-15 guy, but I have 308's and 30.06's for more "stopping power" and longer ranges. My ar-15's have been adjusted for both close combat then of course I have longer-range ar-15's to touch 500+ yards using 20'' bull barrels amongst other specs I put on them. I also reload most of my own ammo as a hobby and for accuracy/reliability.

If you're properly trained and have the right bullet, a 308 and a 30.06 will easily reach 1,000 rounds if you're properly trained. You can buy these for like $500 bucks stock then work on $1,000+ scopes if that's what you wanna do. Just my thoughts.

This is my point. I am never going to be a sniper and dont really want to drop 8k on a rifle. 90% of the rifle shooting I do is under 300 yards. The only way you can get better at something is to do it and use the right tools. I am looking to take on a new challenge and learn the mechanics behind the longer distance shooting. And just looking for some options to take it to that 500 to 1000 yard distance with out breaking the bank.
 
This is my point. I am never going to be a sniper and dont really want to drop 8k on a rifle. 90% of the rifle shooting I do is under 300 yards. The only way you can get better at something is to do it and use the right tools. I am looking to take on a new challenge and learn the mechanics behind the longer distance shooting. And just looking for some options to take it to that 500 to 1000 yard distance with out breaking the bank.

Take up deer stalking. Long range sniping skills + tasty food at the end of it.