Looking for ideas for monetizing my friend's guitar skills

Continuity/membership site would work well , however I can tell you from personal experience , that it's amazingly difficult to get someone to bill for you now (Regardless of how good the product is) if it's informational and not a physical product.
 


Well I guess there is more competition in the beginner target market, but it's also a lot more people wanting to learn the basics, compared to the people who are beyond the beginner level. Perhaps cater to both groups?

If the membership idea materializes, do you have any suggestions for what kind of software to use? Browsing around a bit, I see a lot of crappy Joomla guitar sites out there, and they also seem to be easy to hack. Crappy code I reckon. I see hack attempts every day on my sites, where the hacker is trying to break in via Joomla loopholes. Good thing I don't use Joomla!

Drupal I don't know too much about, but I hear it is flexible. Paying some dollars for a decent CMS that can handle payment subscriptions, video integration in a good way, etc would probably be worth it. I am a coder myself, but I haven't built a tool like this, and I don't really want to! It would be a lot of work.
 
I did this once a while ago (The Guitar Resource - Free Guitar Lessons, Articles and Videos) i sold the blog a long time ago.

My advice: don't do it!

The money from adsense and affiliate sucks in that niche. The site made no money. The amount of time it took to make good posts/videos was not worth it. It took me at least 2 hours to write one post (and do video/illustrations). So if you're talking one post every day, that's a lot of time and not a lot of money that comes from it.

Plus, not only does he have to be a good player, but he has to be a good teacher/communicator/writer AND understand some basic SEO.

He can make money online in ways that don't involve his playing skills. he can do EPN sites related to guitar equipment and other stuff. Much better way to make money off guitar IMO...
 
EPN is eBay Partner Network sites? Do you think there would be better money in talking about guitar equipment and refer to eBay for buying that stuff, compared to a member site, where people pay a monthly fee for getting access to unique, quality videos?
 
What rgordon said

Unless he's famous (and thus has better ways of making money) I doubt he has much chance in that market.
 
He should do like a "$99 guitars" thing. Find some used instruments on cl, local pawn shops, etc., do a vid of him playing them (proof that they actually play) and sell 'em all for $99.
 
EPN is eBay Partner Network sites? Do you think there would be better money in talking about guitar equipment and refer to eBay for buying that stuff, compared to a member site, where people pay a monthly fee for getting access to unique, quality videos?

Find one guitar item that he really likes. Build a "fan" site around it. Write good content, find demos on youtube, write reviews, and most important, EPN links. Then just SEO the site.

Make sure he picks an item that gets enough searches but is not TOO competitive. So NOT "Fender guitars" and NOT "blue guitar picks with green aliens"

See an old EPN blog of mine for more info: http://epntips.com/category/niches/ (thats the 'niches' category, but u can explore the whole blog)