Modified an old iMac



Good job taking care of the ol' lady on the cheap! If you're in to that extreme, then why not just build a Hackintosh that will smoke that old shit with a pile of PC parts just as cheap? Don't get me wrong - charming as hell but, just saying...

He said the wifey always wanted an old iMac, im going to assume it's not terribly terribly slow, and if shes just a normal user it should run fine for her...
 
He said the wifey always wanted an old iMac, im going to assume it's not terribly terribly slow, and if shes just a normal user it should run fine for her...

LoL, it was running fine until she decided to check out "OS 9" for the startup disk option, all the sudden LCD goes "out of range", tried to open it back up again to hopefully mess with the LCD's settings, as I have no CRTs in the house, and I think ended up shorting something on logic board where the graphics out of the machine was completely dead but you could hear it boot up.

So was like fuck it, I gutted all the electronics out of the chassis minus the LCD and speakers, and will dig the old PC out of the closest and put it under the desk... it'll be a glorified imac monitor. Now she can still have a computer and still have the imac look (the PC in the closet which I need to get a new DVD reader so I can reinstall the OS for is a P4/2.8ghz).
 
hmm.. or get a mac mini and align it with the CD slot.

I actually like what you did there, even though I hate the design of those iMacs.

::emp::
 
hmm.. or get a mac mini and align it with the CD slot.

I actually like what you did there, even though I hate the design of those iMacs.

::emp::

I hate their design too lol, hated their hockey puck mice even more when they came out. Right now its running Knoppix off a SD card on the LCD with the desktop tucked away under the desk. Least until I can find a SATA power cable and data cable then just install XP onto the remaining unused SATA drive I have. (least that way it'd work with the WUSB11 wifi adapter I already have, really don't want to put any more money into this than I already have, as far as I'm concerned, she'll get that "imac look" but with the XP familiarity).