Need to extend my wireless connection.

efeezy

Well-known member
Oct 5, 2007
5,249
136
63
51
Right now I've got my wireless router in my wife's office at home and I'm needing to have a good signal in my new office which is about 75 feet away. I get a signal there but it's weak as crap.

What's the best way to improve the wireless signal out to that distance while keeping the router in it's current location?
 


Thanks for the Google tip.... Yeah I did that and found some articles...but I figured some real time advice from you guys might be more accurate than blog posts from 2005.
 
Just upgrade to N wireless(if you're using G). Wireless extender and other stuff might be working but IMHO it's not worth the headache and the quality couldn't be any better either. My cousin did add the db antenna on his PC and it worked pretty well(dont' know the detail here)
 
i have exactly the same issue. bought one of these, works a treat

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Wireless-N-802-11n-Wireless-Strongest/dp/B00286CNKO]Amazon.com: Alfa Wireless-N 500mW 802.11n high power Wireless USB adapter With Antenna and Mount *Strongest on the Market*: Electronics[/ame]

probably be able to get it cheaper than that if you look around
 
The powerline adapters work well, especially if you have to get through a basement or somewhere else with a lot of concrete. It is a good idea to take a look at what you have in between the AP and the clients- things like microwaves can cause interference.

If your AP is running good firmware, you can also increase the transmit power a bit.