Personal Knowledge Base - Wiki or CMS

HairyHun

Masturbating Bandit
Oct 11, 2007
576
2
0
I came accross a lot of useful things along the days. Sometimes i don't know yet when and how i will use it, but I know the day will come. In other times i wanna put put notes for later. I have so many things going in my mind and always thinking of ideas and stuff that these ideas get lost.
It could as random as a good dewrinkling product i saw in GQ, tips for polishing leather shoes or a list of WP plugins for security.

I was thinking that maybe I should find a way that is easy to organise, online ( so won't get lost like papers ) and that's flexible and free. Has to be easy otherwise i won't do it.

I was thinking about doing like a wiki using mediawiki ( same as wikipedia ) or wordpress.

Which one would you go for and why? Or if you already have a technique or tool that you use let me know.

Secondary question: keep it open (maybe avoid personally identified info) or completely closed.

Thanks
HH
 


I like your idea. I'd do a wiki and keep a current list of all articles so shit doesnt get lost.

Keep it closed. Talk is silver; silence is gold.
 
For those articles, do you make a PDF copy or something like that in case it gets moved. I know I used to have all these "clippings" in my RSS reader. Then one day the links were broker because shit moved.
 
evernote seems amazing. I'll give it a go.

anyone else has other tools? With the AM having so many things to know and keep abreast of you gotta have some kind of method to organize the madness!
 
^ Doesn't the one file get a little large at some point?

Wiki on a Stick (in short WoaS) is a wiki that lives in one self-modifying XHTML file.

I think if you only store short info like cliffnotes or links, it may do a good job, but for longer content? Not sure if I'm missing something.
 
I tried a wiki for a while. Got too unwieldy, switched to a forum running on my local machine. Easy to see everything by thread name, group logical stuff by category (hosting, sites, etc...), and I can see any sites or projects I've neglected if they end up too far down the list.
 
I tried a wiki for a while. Got too unwieldy, switched to a forum running on my local machine. Easy to see everything by thread name, group logical stuff by category (hosting, sites, etc...), and I can see any sites or projects I've neglected if they end up too far down the list.

I like the idea of a forum a lot. You can update the threads with new updates to the idea.

I've been using DokuWiki and like it a lot. Confluence costs money. I'm sure it's nice, but there are a LOT of really good open source alternatives out there. If anyone's looking for another time waster, the wiki article on "Personal Knowledge Management" will lead you on a good half-hour link hunt.
 
I've been using DokuWiki and like it a lot.

I was using screwturnwiki for a while but I was found that while I thought all the cross linking to different pages would make it easy to find everything I found I was always hunting for stuff, invariably I would always list all pages and then try and remember under what category I put whatever I was looking for. Unless it was the root page of one of my sites I was always bouncing around.