Poor little octopussy

babylonian

New member
Jun 24, 2006
1,001
25
0
Took this photo few days ago at the L'Aquàrium de Barcelona
Poor little guy. Was almost as I heard: "get me outta here"

741257_10151157302312330_2109808296_o.jpg


Later tonite, went for a sea food dinner, and there he was, his lil' brother chopped up in front of me as an appetizer.

braised_octopus_in_rioja.jpg


Could't eat. :'(

Question comes to mind:
Life in prison VS. instant death sentence, what would you opt. for if you had a choice?
 


I personally think it's immoral to kill and eat anything of high intelligence. If it has self awareness like elephants then it has the ability to suffer. Would much rather eat something that didn't even know it was alive in the first place like a Chicken. The only time I'd break that rule would be in a life or death situation.
 
I personally think it's immoral to kill and eat anything of high intelligence. If it has self awareness like elephants then it has the ability to suffer. Would much rather eat something that didn't even know it was alive in the first place like a Chicken. The only time I'd break that rule would be in a life or death situation.

What?
 
I personally think it's immoral to kill and eat anything of high intelligence. If it has self awareness like elephants then it has the ability to suffer. Would much rather eat something that didn't even know it was alive in the first place like a Chicken. The only time I'd break that rule would be in a life or death situation.
Surely suffering is dictated by pain, and a brain, so pretty much the only thing you can eat is Jellyfish? (and even that's a touch dubious, iirc)
 
I personally think it's immoral to kill and eat anything of high intelligence. If it has self awareness like elephants then it has the ability to suffer. Would much rather eat something that didn't even know it was alive in the first place like a Chicken. The only time I'd break that rule would be in a life or death situation.

Ever interact with a chicken?
 
Surely suffering is dictated by pain, and a brain, so pretty much the only thing you can eat is Jellyfish? (and even that's a touch dubious, iirc)
Ever interact with a chicken?
I'm with Vokco on this one; of course it's hard to draw the line. For instance, Crows are super-smart... They use something like 40 different tools and can remember so many different commands that it's hard to tell if they're just responding or actually thinking... Even an elephant doesn't seem to be as aware as a tiny crow... So brain size is clearly not a good enough criteria on how to pick them.

Most dolphins, some whales, Octopi, Cuttlefish, and many Squid species are even smarter than this though. We really don't even know yet if any have the possibility of being SMARTER than we are... If any are, I'd bet on the Octos and the Squids because they have "opposable thumbs" of sorts, which enables higher learning in many ways.

I can't eat them either, but my wife does. It always makes me sad when I see it.

I'll take the bullet unless there is the third choice of a drug that makes me more stupid than an elephant... Ignorance, afterall, is bliss.
 
Lukep, do you have any sources on the squids or cuttlefish comment? I would like to read into that deeper.

It was always my understanding that squids were aggressive and stupid, but octopodes were definitely intelligent but are not social animals therefore they never pass down any knowledge they gained. Pretty fascinating stuff. I love octopodes personally.

Crows are also quite intelligent. It's cool watching them problem solve.
 
I'm with Vokco on this one; of course it's hard to draw the line. For instance, Crows are super-smart... They use something like 40 different tools and can remember so many different commands that it's hard to tell if they're just responding or actually thinking... Even an elephant doesn't seem to be as aware as a tiny crow... So brain size is clearly not a good enough criteria on how to pick them.

Most dolphins, some whales, Octopi, Cuttlefish, and many Squid species are even smarter than this though. We really don't even know yet if any have the possibility of being SMARTER than we are... If any are, I'd bet on the Octos and the Squids because they have "opposable thumbs" of sorts, which enables higher learning in many ways.

I can't eat them either, but my wife does. It always makes me sad when I see it.

I'll take the bullet unless there is the third choice of a drug that makes me more stupid than an elephant... Ignorance, afterall, is bliss.
What about pigs? And pigeons can be trained to distinguish between Cubism and Impressionism.
 
With birds in general, I've noticed birds that walk are more intelligent than birds that hop.
 
Why discriminate based on intelligence? Intelligence != morality. If an elephant is struttin' around banging out other elephant's bitches and stomping out child elephants, I'll eat his ears any day, extra cinnamon. Boom.
 
Lukep, do you have any sources on the squids or cuttlefish comment? I would like to read into that deeper.
Sorry, can't seem to find it at the moment, but what I remember is that Octos are smarter than Cuttles excepting only for when they do camouflage tricks (Cuttles can mimic patterns underneath them perfectly, even words!) and both are usually more smart than a squid but there are many different types of squids.

@joe: Pigs are smarter than dogs, but nowhere near a crow. How many tools can a pig use?

@cassius: You raise an interesting point, morality is also important like intelligence is... But it takes a lot of intelligence to even have the ability to conceive moral questions. So I guess what you're saying is that any species that is too stupid to understand morals is fair game to be your lunch... But once they can choose morality, those that choose not to act morally should still be your lunch.

Righty ho. I'm off to the local ghetto to to bag some dinner then. :thumbup:


The reason most people use intelligence for a criteria of what to eat is because they are worried about the lunch-to-be's ability to conceive pain.