Tips for managing a team of volunteers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLKeenan

Banned
Jun 24, 2006
2,506
14
0
Boston, MA
So I just sent out an email to everyone who signed up for my website in the past 2 years (~30,000 people) stating that I'm looking to hire some interns over the summer. Now they arent going to be paid positions so I can't keep them interested with a paycheck, but what are some other ways to keep volunteers motivated and performing their duties?
 


-Take your interns out to a nice lunch from time to time.

-Give them access to things they wouldn't have access to if they didn't know you. (programs, data etc..) Don't know if this is an option for you..

-Organize social activities so people get to know and befriend each other. Good friends will keep your mind off of anything.

What will your interns be doing ? Might help with the suggestions.
 
Sounds like your interns are going to be working remotely.

Stress the benefits:
- Good experience
- Good for their resume
- If they perform well, you will be a good reference

Those are the main reasons people accept internships to begin with. Instead of suggesting they are helping you out, convince them that you are helping them out.
 
I guess the real question is how to I teach these people to be self-reliant and have them not need micro-management from my end. It's hard for me to turn down 100s of free workers, but I certainly can't manage them all unless I can streamline a lot of the processes involved.
 
Find the cream of the crop. Give them a special title (ie 'Uber Cool Enforcement Professionals')

Teach them and have them teach the less motivated/bright. Find forums that are friendly to noobs. Tell them to take their questions first to the noob forum, then to you.

Set up a compensation at the end of each month for the best results. If it is only $100-200 with a nice lunch and a special title (Uber Cool Best Trained Professional) that can go a long way.

As mentioned above, do team building activities (parties, outings to play bowling, nice dinners, etc).

Also prepare reading material with exercises and special outlined points as to when to contact you/team leader.
 
Well, here's the thing. Everyone will be working remotely unless they just happen to live near me and even if they do, I don't know if we would ever meet face to face. So what are some good ways to keep a remote team motivated and organized?
 
Random bonuses in the form of mailed gifts, gift cards, or just cash. Even a small amount would help. Also, find out their birthdays and buy something nice for them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.