VPS Hosting Recomendations?

WickedFire7

Banned
Sep 6, 2009
62
0
0
I'm wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions regarding VPS hosting? I'm running all my traffic through shared hosting accts currently and haven't had any issues but know that I need another solution or I'm gonna run into issues.

I've searched around (including here) and I'm familiar with many of the VPS options (slicehost, mediatemple...etc) but my main question is do all of these require linux knowledge to set up and upload the files? Ideally I'm looking for something like cpanel although I don't think this exists for VPS. My programmer/designer told me he's not familiar with how to do this and I was wondering if there was an easy solution before I look on a freelance site for someone else to upload my sites.

I'm looking for something that can handle up to 100K uniques per day. (right now it's about 25)

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
 


If scaling is a concern I'd go for Liquid Web I hear is great. I have used Wiredtree.com also, they where pretty good. Both offer cPanel.
 
Moving files is relatively simple. You just do a cpanel full backup and then import it in new VPS WHM.

I went with knownhost and I can't really say anything about them yet. Support is the best I've seen (responses literally in 10min or less) but as far as VPS stability etc, I can't comment on that because I don't have anything to compare it with.

In any case,

if you go with cpanel make sure to have 500+ MB ram.

Also, go with fully managed VPS hosting because that'll allow you to have their support team do all the work. With knownhost whenever something goes wrong or even if I have a problem with 3rd party applications they fix the linux technical stuff, so I suggest you get something like that, especially if you aren't very linux literate like me.
 
A quick tip: visit WebHostingTalk.com and check out their "special offers" section or whatever the fuck it's called (you'll find offers from relatively unknown hosts as well as from major players like LiquidWeb there). You're bound to come across a great deal, thank me later.

Edited: here's the link
 
I also use wiredtree. Reasonably priced, the support people know their shit and reply incredibly fast.
 
1) Liquid Web (the best but most ex)
2) Wiredtree (runner up, cost reasonable)
3) Future Hosting (cheapest, WHT 40% ongoing)

you can't go wrong with either one of them and they all provide fully managed.
 
I know a Vps hosting that may suit you, is the HostICan. is Linux based with cPanel & Virtual Private Server. They offer reasonable prices.
 
Just signed up for wiredtree... Still waiting on the verification call but I think this should work as it has cpanel.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
 
I've used probably 10 diff companies in the past for dedicated / vps hosting. Liquidweb is by 10x the most amazing in terms of support, etc.

The extra 20 bucks or whatever they cost over competition, is so worth it.
 
Did you use some kind of discount? There's typically a discount code floating around.
 
I've been using SolarVPS and have like 10 or so there. I use them to get a US ip basically, reliable service + good support.
 
I use ServInt and SolarVPS (managed) and I can recommend them both. They offer cPanel and got good support, an extra plus for ServInt's stellar support!