Why the hell is the iPhone 3GS still so expensive?

efeezy

Well-known member
Oct 5, 2007
5,249
136
63
51
I'm looking to get a 3GS to replace my old first gen iPhone. The battery will barely hold a charge anymore, and since they're essentially disposable, I've got no choice but to find another one.

The 3GS has been out how long now? Close to a year? So why the hell are they still going for $900+ on ebay.


I don't have AT&T, so I can't go in for an upgrade or any of that shit. I unlock and jailbreak it for T-Mobile.

Is there anyplace to get one of these for a reasonable price, or is the market for these still at that much of a premium?
 


I think you can get one for around $599 at Best Buy without a contract and then unlock/jailbreak it yourself to use with T-mobile.
 
Don't buy one off eBay.

I have an iPhone with AT&T. It was like $200 at the time you buy it, and you can keep the hardware after 2 months on their contract, and they'll let you keep the hardware. You can just jailbreak + unlock it yourself easily. Go to your AT&T store and ask them.

I'm still on AT&T because I had it before my iPhone and didn't want to change my #. Their iPhone plan's are a bit pricey though.
 
Your best bet is going to replace the battery yourself for the time being. In a couple months the newest iphone version will be out (typically happens in June) then snag a 3gs when prices plummet.