Wi-fi HDTV that has built in web browser?

CLKeenan

Banned
Jun 24, 2006
2,506
14
0
Boston, MA
Does such thing exist? I'm not talking about facebook, twitter, pandora, etc. widgets but a full web browser that has a wi-fi connection.

I'm considering just getting a mac mini and hooking that up instead.
 


I was over my neighbors house a couple of weeks ago and he had his tv set-up so it was basically his computer. When he turned the tv on, it showed it his desktop and everything.... Pretty fucking sick. Not exactly sure if that's what you're talking about though.
 
Just get a decent HTPC. It's not good to have everything in one device. You can't upgrade it without replacing the whole thing and when something goes wrong...forget it.
 
i just built a home server (super low budget, entire thing for liek $300). runs my house skype, the sickest torrent'd movie archive you've seen, sick amounts of music.
 
what exactly are you trying to achieve? I' not going to tell you what Wi-Fi, HDTV or web browser are but I think here is some sort of misconception. Could you tell us more of what you need?
 
The new Sony tvs include GoogleTV, which include all of the apps that you mention, plus a full chrome browser, and a built in Wireless-N WIFI adapter.

It seems to also be running on the Android OS, so you can get a lot of the apps on the tv that you can get on the Droid marketplace.
 
Ive had my mac mini set up as a dedicated tv pc for the last year, really works well with the bluetooth mac kb/mouse. I'd recommend it. Plus, it's cool to hear people ask, 'why do you have a keyboard on your coffee table?'