Working on My Car

been a car guy all my life and always try to do as much of my own work as possible, but I'm finding a lack of free time has me taking my ride to the mechanic a lot more often. This is only for breakdowns and stuff I just don't want to do.

for me the best of both worlds is having a project car. I drive an old chevy truck as my daily beater, but I have a 73 bug that I keep in the garage and love to tinker with. Project cars are great, because you get the joy of building/working on them yourself, but in the event of a breakdown your not in the same time crunch of getting things fixed as you are with a daily driver.
 


I get you guys on the time problem, but part of what makes it feel great to me is that you take the time off from complex work stuff and get to do something simple like replacing a part or changing a fluid. Its something very simple but makes you feel very accomplished. Sure we get the some from sites and campaigns but its not quite the same.
 
but i don't like how the car companies are making it more and more complicated for people to work on their cars.

i.e - new cars with lots of computer shit.
 
this fucking thread jinxed me lol. Truck wouldn't start today, replaced coil, checked cap and rotor, getting flooded..

sparta.jpg
 
I like working on my cars, but I'm definitely not a mechanic, it's fun to open the hood and get greasy, even if you can't figure anything out and don't accomplish anything. I like to dig in and give it a good shot and usually learn something in the process.

And the good ol Grand Cherokee - everything that could possible break or go wrong on one of those happened to mine over the course of many years. I gave up though at one point trying to keep up on repairs, and the last day I ever saw it it was being towed from my apartment lot with no working breaks, unexplainable coolant/oil leaks and a locked up differential. But when it ran that thing could get through some deep snow. Good times.
 
Yesterday I took a quick peak at my gas tank to see if I could install the fuel pump this week. I found out the access port is on the TOP of the tank! So I would have to remove the tank from the car to install it. I had been reading up on what needed to be done but they changed how to access it between years.

Not sure if this is something I can do in my condos parking lot without a lift or jacks. Fucking sucks, at least I have the parts though now to get shop quotes.
 
Yesterday I took a quick peak at my gas tank to see if I could install the fuel pump this week. I found out the access port is on the TOP of the tank! So I would have to remove the tank from the car to install it. I had been reading up on what needed to be done but they changed how to access it between years.

Not sure if this is something I can do in my condos parking lot without a lift or jacks. Fucking sucks, at least I have the parts though now to get shop quotes.

sucks when there is no access panel. You could def do it in a drive way, but your going to want to pick up 4 jackstands to get the vehicle off the ground and keep it stable. Def make sure it's low on gas to help make things easier; if you have access to a motorcycle jack that would certainly make dropping the tank a little less hairy.
 
If it's a jeep gas tank just drive the rear up on ramps, drop it, pop it out and put a new one in. It's very easy.

I've done it numerous times, sometimes in the woods in the middle of no where. Once I did it in my driveway to find out it was my TPS sensor not the fuel pump, got a new pump in there now anyway, and a 10min TPS change and it was moving again :338:

Something relaxing about working on vehicles.
 
im going to be installing a turbo in my 04 tiburon going to be a good challenge for me :)
 
If it's a jeep gas tank just drive the rear up on ramps, drop it, pop it out and put a new one in. It's very easy.

I've done it numerous times, sometimes in the woods in the middle of no where. Once I did it in my driveway to find out it was my TPS sensor not the fuel pump, got a new pump in there now anyway, and a 10min TPS change and it was moving again :338:

Something relaxing about working on vehicles.

Agree. Shouldn't be a big deal to drop the tank. PB blaster will be your best friend, seems like any bolt behind the rear wheels are always pretty stuck.