1 In 6 Americans Is Infected With Genital Herpes

hellblazer

New member
Sep 20, 2008
3,019
86
0
It's almost enough to make someone... become abstinent.

But seriously, the breakdown of the numbers is pretty interesting. They say blacks and women generally have higher infection rates than other groups. I wonder if that's because of some genetic predisposition or due to a more promiscuous lifestyle perhaps? Either way, there's a clear market for Valtrex. They're probably lovin this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. herpes rates remain high - CDC


Tue Mar 9, 2010 2:43pm EST

Highest rates found among blacks, women

By JoAnne Allen

WASHINGTON, March 9 (Reuters) - About 16 percent of Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with genital herpes, making it one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday.

Black women had the highest rate of infection at 48 percent and women were nearly twice likely as men to be infected, according to an analysis by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 21 percent of women were infected with genital herpes, compared to only 11.5 percent of men, while 39 percent of blacks were infected compared to about 12 percent for whites, the CDC said.


There is no cure for genital herpes, or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), which can cause recurrent and painful genital sores and also increases the likelihood of acquiring and transmitting the AIDS virus. It is related to herpes simplex virus 1, or oral herpes, which causes cold sores.

Several drugs are available to treat herpes symptoms and outbreaks, including acyclovir, which is available generically or under the Zovirax brand name, and valacyclovir, known generically as Valtrex -- both made by GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK.L). Ganciclovir, sold as Zirgan, is made by privately-held Sirion Therapeutics, Inc.

The CDC estimates that more than 80 percent of people with genital herpes do not know they are infected.

"The message is herpes is quite common. The symptoms can be often very innocuous," Dr. John Douglas of the CDC said in a teleconference.

"Because herpes is so prevalent it becomes ... a really important reason to use condoms on a consistent and correct basis with all of your partners," Douglas said.

Douglas said the increased rate of infection in blacks is not do to increased risk behavior but likely due to biological factors that make women more susceptible as well as the higher rate of infection within black communities.

The CDC estimates that there are 19 million new sexually transmitted disease infections every year in the United States, costing the health care system about $16 billion annually.
 


This sounds like a scare tactic and was most likely based on a very, very small sample size of people who were highly sexually active and participated in the "fixed" survey because they were paid. There's no way 16% of all americans or 21% of all women have herpes.
 
@hellblazer

that analysis surely looks scary. Hope someone someday will find a cure for this genital herpes. the fact that more than 80% of infected people dont even know they r infected makes it even more scarier.
 
hellblazer: without questioning your ideology, why do you visit Reuters? I've always thought that they tend to cover more liberal based news stories (mainly just reporting with little opinion). I just got out of surgery so i could just be completely wrong.
 
hellblazer: without questioning your ideology, why do you visit Reuters? I've always thought that they tend to cover more liberal based news stories (mainly just reporting with little opinion). I just got out of surgery so i could just be completely wrong.

I don't visit Reuters, I check news aggregators. Even though news organizations like Reuters or AP are liberal, they have a widespread operation and you can generally dig through the garbage to get the facts. I don't remember where I saw this story, I just saw the 1 in 6 stat and thought, "No way that's right".
 
hellblazer

please shoot yourself

You fuck without a rubber you are likely to get something or another, plane and simple.
 
I'm so liberal I'll get herpes to make people with herpes feel more comfortable. Please don't flame
 
I know 100 people and only 2 might have the herps, fuck these stats, they made em up, but there probably true, but false. 50% of black women! No more lap dances for me, i don't do tattie bars, but i love em, but i don't go.
 
You think thats bad? Wait till you see a pic of crabs!

lice.jpg


Yup. Thats an actual mothafucker that lives down your pants if you do get them from a bitch that was not honest enough.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Design Man