A little advice from the programmers out here?

RotWic

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
318
1
0
WF
Hey,

So i'm on the road to become a good programmer and i am still in the beginning stage. I know it takes years to get there, but im committed to learn and i enjoy learning it. Im doing my engineering course specializing in Information Technology.

I know Java, php, C and C++ pretty well along with CSS and HTML.. I know that there is python, sql, ruby, etc. but i haven't gotten into it yet.

What i need from you guys is to know which language i should start with as im prepared to learn the languages indepth and consecutively let me know of a learning curve i should go about.
 


You're not intelligent enough to be a programmer who earns a good living.

How do I know? You can't even figure out the proper forum to post in.

PS. "Information Technology" is about as useless as going to community college for "Business Management". It's not going to get you anywhere. Drop out, and get your ass to work.
 
fl3JH.jpg
 
If you have to ask which language to learn, you don't know C/C++ and Java as well as you think you do.

If you have to ask which language to learn, you will not learn any of them as 'in depth' as you believe you can.
 
I'm going to infer that because you're posting this on WF that you want to program for the web.

Learn PHP/Python/Ruby. Then learn one of their web frameworks. I prefer Ruby/Ruby on Rails. Learn SQL in the MySQL or Postgres flavor. I prefer Postgres. Learn how to provision a linux server/VPS. Learn HTML, Learn CSS.

If you already know Java/C++ this should all be a piece of cake.
 
You're not intelligent enough to be a programmer who earns a good living.

How do I know? You can't even figure out the proper forum to post in.

PS. "Information Technology" is about as useless as going to community college for "Business Management". It's not going to get you anywhere. Drop out, and get your ass to work.

Well thanks for the pep talk. Read the title grandpa! I asked advice only from programmers and CLEARLY you aren't one!

How do i know that? Well cause you are stupid enough to comment on something that you have no expertise on!

I'm going to infer that because you're posting this on WF that you want to program for the web.

Learn PHP/Python/Ruby. Then learn one of their web frameworks. I prefer Ruby/Ruby on Rails. Learn SQL in the MySQL or Postgres flavor. I prefer Postgres. Learn how to provision a linux server/VPS. Learn HTML, Learn CSS.

If you already know Java/C++ this should all be a piece of cake.

Yea, that's where i wanna start. Thanks man. :)
 

+rep! I'm an experienced programmer and I can even find some of that stuff useful. I'm great at backend stuff and desktop apps, but stuff like css forget about it. I think I'll take that course and see what it teaches me. The ASP.Net and Ruby stuff looks interesting as well. I'll look at the ruby stuff as well when they have more progress with it.

edit:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dchuk again." so I liked it instead.
 
Well thanks for the pep talk. Read the title grandpa! I asked advice only from programmers and CLEARLY you aren't one!

How do i know that? Well cause you are stupid enough to comment on something that you have no expertise on!

http://demo.xmarkpro.com/

Go ahead and replicate that system. Oh, and make sure to develop the various infrastructure as well -- accounts, billing, licensing + encoding, development environment, one-click upgrade system, support ticketing, distribution channels including API, affiliate system, custom Windows IDE for development, etc... all done from scratch.

And that's just one of the major projects / businesses I've completed in my career. I think I'm qualified to speak as a developer, thanks.
 
http://demo.xmarkpro.com/

Go ahead and replicate that system. Oh, and make sure to develop the various infrastructure as well -- accounts, billing, licensing + encoding, development environment, one-click upgrade system, support ticketing, distribution channels including API, affiliate system, custom Windows IDE for development, etc... all done from scratch.

And that's just one of the major projects / businesses I've completed in my career. I think I'm qualified to speak as a developer, thanks.

Sure. Oh and i discovered weed! But then again, that's just one among the many discoveries i made in my life. Listen bub! I have no clue what the hell you are and to be honest, i have no interest in your goddam accomplishments. But putting down others, when not asked for, especially youngsters, is not cool!

+rep! I'm an experienced programmer and I can even find some of that stuff useful. I'm great at backend stuff and desktop apps, but stuff like css forget about it. I think I'll take that course and see what it teaches me. The ASP.Net and Ruby stuff looks interesting as well. I'll look at the ruby stuff as well when they have more progress with it.

edit:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dchuk again." so I liked it instead.


Thats the best damn tutorial site i have ever seen. Thanks!
 
Sure. Oh and i discovered weed! But then again, that's just one among the many discoveries i made in my life. Listen bub! I have no clue what the hell you are and to be honest, i have no interest in your goddam accomplishments. But putting down others, when not asked for, especially youngsters, is not cool!

heh, that doesn't make much sense. In case you haven't realized, this is the "big boy forum".

You might want to check out WarriorForum. Over there, if you can manage to make $5/day, they'll lick your ass non-stop and brand you a genius.
 
RotWic, it's awesome that your showing the tenacity and dedication to become a sick programmer. Kiopa_Matt's criticism might be a little harsh, but if you're really serious about being a great coder, just take whatever you can use/learn from wherever it comes.

It looks like you've got a start with imperative languages, to exercise your brain and build your skills a little, try playing around with a functional language like Scheme. Scheme is super easy and fun and you can be very productive right away, plus, you learn a whole new way of thinking about programming. Did you see the thread about functional programming awhile back? http://www.wickedfire.com/design-development-programming/140134-functional-vs-imperative.html There was some good discussion and a ton of really useful links.
 
I know Java, php, C and C++ pretty well along with CSS and HTML.. I know that there is python, sql, ruby, etc. but i haven't gotten into it yet.

Why are you asking what languages to learn if you already know these? Fortunes have been made knowing only one of these languages.

If you want to build your own products, it hardly matters what language you ultimately build it in, as long as the tool fits for the job (e.g. If you're writing cgi scripts in C++ for your webapp, you're doing it wrong).

If you want to consult, I'd stay away from PHP. You're competing with an army of copy & paste coders in 3rd world countries for clients who are less than ideal. Good languages for consulting would be Java, Ruby, Python, and Scala.

Also, this is a terrible forum for people who are interested in software development. Kiopa_Matt, dchuk, mattseh, and a few others seem to know what they are talking about but a large number think they can copy paste a few lines from 10 different places and call themselves a programmer. You also have to deal which a huge number of marketing types who see developers as commodities and want to pay $5/hr.
 
I'm going to infer that because you're posting this on WF that you want to program for the web.

Learn PHP/Python/Ruby. Then learn one of their web frameworks. I prefer Ruby/Ruby on Rails. Learn SQL in the MySQL or Postgres flavor. I prefer Postgres. Learn how to provision a linux server/VPS. Learn HTML, Learn CSS.

If you already know Java/C++ this should all be a piece of cake.

I'd also add "all the javascript stuff."
 
It depends on if you want to create your own products or if you want to focus on getting a job in the corporate world.

If you want to get a job and work at a bank, marketing agency, insurance company etc Then you will probably want to focus on:

.NET Framework / SQL Server
J2EE / Oracle
Web Technologies (AJAX, jQuery, SOAP, HTML5, CSS3)

In my experience, J2EE/Java developers tend to get paid 10% to 20% more than .NET developers but .NET developers tend to get more money than say PHP developers.

If you want to create your own products, PHP/MySQL is free and cross platform so it's a good place to start.

There is still a demand for C++ but it is more for embedded programming and legacy systems.

Also, don't get too hung up on languages, focus on developing your design, programming, communication and problem solving skills and then you can apply those to any language (which is mostly a case of syntax and the framework or library).
 
Well thanks for the pep talk. Read the title grandpa! I asked advice only from programmers and CLEARLY you aren't one!

How do i know that? Well cause you are stupid enough to comment on something that you have no expertise on!

Don't be offended but Kiopa is perfectly right. If you are a good C/C++ programmer you should have a better self esteem but I bet you don't even know what a pointer is. It's impossible to be a PHP developer, as you say, without knowing SQL, the 2 things are tied.
Generic questions like yours are a proof of what Kiopa_Matt said.