A little advice from the programmers out here?

Correct they teach theory and not really a language, but generally by the time 4 years is up a student SHOULD be proficient in at least one language. If they aren't then they shouldn't be in CS, because they lack the drive that's required.

A while back I interviewed lot a people with and with out cs degrees. A lot of the fresh guys were proficient in Java, .NET, or rarely C++. This job was for PHP, but my thought was I wanted to hire a couple of green guys and have them work with the senior guys to learn PHP. I have no idea how some of those guys passed CS. A lot of them couldn't even properly describe what a linked list was or how something like a binary search works. I wasn't asking them to write it in a programming language and having it compile and run. I just wanted a flow chart drawn that explained them. After that incident I lost a lot of faith in our current CS grads.

Those are the guys who eventually get jobs at the DoD.
 


I don't know, I've worked with & trained quite a few developers back in the day. My own employees, plus other companies' dev teams. Some of the guys had 4 year CS degrees, and others didn't. Have to say, I never seen anything that set the CS guys apart, or made me believe there was any advantage to getting a CS degree.

Some of them were absolutely excellent developers, and others were total useless cunts. It didn't seem to matter whether or not they had a CS degree. If you have the proper mind to be a good developer, you're going to be a good developer with or without the degree. If you're a dipshit, you're still going to be a dipshit even if you get the degree.