Any amazon/kindle ebook publishers on here?

mpbiz

New member
Apr 29, 2010
2,822
57
0
I have several EMD's for keywords that get massive amounts of global traffic. These keywords are in the "learning/step-by-step" instruction mindset.

I want to create kindle books for these keywords, but I don't want to depend entirely on amazon. I want to put my EMD's to use and drive traffic to the actual amazon page.

Has anyone created landing pages for kindle books like this, and successfully SEO'd them or driven ppc traffic anything like that?

I'm sitting on some real gems here, but I've noticed that unless your book is getting massive attention already that the amazon listing wont show up on the first page of google search results.

So I guess I'm just confused on how to promote these kindle books w/ the EMD's and funnel the traffic to Amazon.'

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
 


I'm sitting on some real gems here, but I've noticed that unless your book is getting massive attention already that the amazon listing wont show up on the first page of google search results.

A big part of the reason for this is the quantity of internal links to the book from around Amazon. Bestsellers obviously show up a lot more in those "You might also like..." boxes, the number of people whose profile pages point to the product page due to reviews, etc.

Although it's hard to single-handedly create the level of internal link juice you'd get on a bestseller, you CAN manipulate it quite a bit, especially if you're dealing with low or mid-volume keywords. A few things I've noticed...

-If you're going to optimize your book title for keywords, do the usual volume checks and stuff with Google, but ALSO check Amazon by doing a search for the keyword(s) in question. Are there bestsellers that already target those keywords. If so, the odds are good that those pages, and not yours, will show up in Google (barring an amount of work that is probably inefficient).

-Solicit reviews. The more established the accounts involved, the better. Bear in mind that if you go in and buy your book with a new account, it has to be funded by an actual CC in order to do reviews. Buying 50 Amazon gift cards, emailing them to yourself, and creating new accounts with proxies won't cut it.

-Create Listmania lists. I'm not sure that anyone actually reads them, but they direct more links to your book, and that's good.

-Fill in the product tags with relevant keywords.

-Keyword optimize your title/product description. If your reviewers use those keywords, it helps, too...

-When you have different people buy your book, have them buy some similar books, too. Choose the same ones most of the time, and add in a few oddball purchases to keep it natural. You'll show up as an "also purchased" item and get more exposure and internal links. The more times your book is purchased, the higher your sales rank will go, too. In some categories, it doesn't take much to get into the top 10. Better sales rank = better exposure throughout Amazon.com = more natural sales, links, and reviews.

-Build some outside links to your product page. I don't like to do a ton of this, given that it's building links to a site I don't own...but it does help, especially on more competitive keywords.

Like a lot of things, it has a tendency to take off on its own after a while. It's relatively easy to get Amazon pages to rank in Google if you are specifically trying.

As for the EMDs...I would just do it like a typical keyword-optimized author page - some brief sales copy, background information about the author (probably not your real name for something like this...KDP lets you use pen names very easily), etc. I haven't promoted any of my Kindle books with EMDs, but I have used external landing pages so I could rank both the Amazon page and some of my own sites for the keyword and send all the traffic to the Kindle book. The "get a free chapter" approach works well since the first 10% of any Kindle book is available as a free sample.

Of course, if you're trying to brand yourself as an author, build a reputation, etc., there are a million other things that are more long-term and white hat...but this will get the job done for a quick Kindle book.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DanWesson and mpbiz
A big part of the reason for this is the quantity of internal links to the book from around Amazon. Bestsellers obviously show up a lot more in those "You might also like..." boxes, the number of people whose profile pages point to the product page due to reviews, etc.

Although it's hard to single-handedly create the level of internal link juice you'd get on a bestseller, you CAN manipulate it quite a bit, especially if you're dealing with low or mid-volume keywords. A few things I've noticed...

-If you're going to optimize your book title for keywords, do the usual volume checks and stuff with Google, but ALSO check Amazon by doing a search for the keyword(s) in question. Are there bestsellers that already target those keywords. If so, the odds are good that those pages, and not yours, will show up in Google (barring an amount of work that is probably inefficient).

-Solicit reviews. The more established the accounts involved, the better. Bear in mind that if you go in and buy your book with a new account, it has to be funded by an actual CC in order to do reviews. Buying 50 Amazon gift cards, emailing them to yourself, and creating new accounts with proxies won't cut it.

-Create Listmania lists. I'm not sure that anyone actually reads them, but they direct more links to your book, and that's good.

-Fill in the product tags with relevant keywords.

-Keyword optimize your title/product description. If your reviewers use those keywords, it helps, too...

-When you have different people buy your book, have them buy some similar books, too. Choose the same ones most of the time, and add in a few oddball purchases to keep it natural. You'll show up as an "also purchased" item and get more exposure and internal links. The more times your book is purchased, the higher your sales rank will go, too. In some categories, it doesn't take much to get into the top 10. Better sales rank = better exposure throughout Amazon.com = more natural sales, links, and reviews.

-Build some outside links to your product page. I don't like to do a ton of this, given that it's building links to a site I don't own...but it does help, especially on more competitive keywords.

Like a lot of things, it has a tendency to take off on its own after a while. It's relatively easy to get Amazon pages to rank in Google if you are specifically trying.

As for the EMDs...I would just do it like a typical keyword-optimized author page - some brief sales copy, background information about the author (probably not your real name for something like this...KDP lets you use pen names very easily), etc. I haven't promoted any of my Kindle books with EMDs, but I have used external landing pages so I could rank both the Amazon page and some of my own sites for the keyword and send all the traffic to the Kindle book. The "get a free chapter" approach works well since the first 10% of any Kindle book is available as a free sample.

Of course, if you're trying to brand yourself as an author, build a reputation, etc., there are a million other things that are more long-term and white hat...but this will get the job done for a quick Kindle book.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I was actually reading some similar knowledge you dropped in a previous thread on here. I have you on AIM btw I'll be in touch soon.

+rep