Any news on WP3.0 release?

TheCrabb

Banned
Oct 9, 2009
292
7
0
South Africa
I've been running the beta and nightly builds for some time now and the stable release date was supposed to be May 15.

OK - so they missed the release date, no biggie, I know it's quite an ambitious release but does anybody have any news on when the stable release will finally be available? I've got quite a lot of work that I'm holding back on untill it's here.
 


Holy crap! Still searching for an answer as to when WP3.0 will be released and found this post at #1 on Google (my datacenter at any rate) for the term "wp3.0 release date" - less than an hour after I made the original post!
 
WordPress 3.0: Ultimate Guide to New Features


According to the timeline on WordPress trac, WordPress 3.0 should have been released on May 1, 2010, but now, the core developers of WordPress have removed the release date because of bugs that still needs to be fixed.


There are expectations that the production version will be released in the last week of May, 2010 or in the early start of June, 2010.
 
Isn't WP 3.0 coming with WPMU automatically added as feature option?

Yes. In the beta's you have to add 1 line to the config file to enable it. I think it's how final will be too. But it's nice to have it built in finally.
 
Are there any compelling reasons for them incorporating MU in this release other than not having to maintain concurrent code bases? They're fundamentally different setups, there is a use for blogs/cms style sites, and a use for self serve multi blog setups. I don't really get why they felt the need to combine them.

Then again, I don't really get why Automattic does half the shit they do, they have too much money and too many coders to be making stupid moves still. The only thing really holding them up as the top CMS platform is the abundance of plugins and themes. The core system is relatively weak/plain
 
bloat schmoat... I've been running the beta for about 6 weeks now (using as a multi user with BuddyPress) and I'm well impressed. Still a few bugs to sort out but the Trac timeline is updated about 20 times per day so the stable release must be very close.

It's one of the more ambitious updates, so there may still be a bug or 2 to sort out after the 3.0 release and I've heard a couple of power users saying they are going to wait for 3.1 before they update production sites, but personally I'm itching to get 3.0 running full time!
 
I have always tried to stay a few small versions behind just to make sure the newest version shakes out. One time in my life I upgraded right away and was very sorry I did.
 
does this new version of wordpress make it hard to use thesis or how is the future of thesis looking with such robust changes to wp as a whole? //g
 
bloat schmoat... I've been running the beta for about 6 weeks now (using as a multi user with BuddyPress) and I'm well impressed. Still a few bugs to sort out but the Trac timeline is updated about 20 times per day so the stable release must be very close.

It's one of the more ambitious updates, so there may still be a bug or 2 to sort out after the 3.0 release and I've heard a couple of power users saying they are going to wait for 3.1 before they update production sites, but personally I'm itching to get 3.0 running full time!


You didn't really address the bloat issues though. Is 3.0 some how less of a ram hog than it's previous upgrades? Because history has not been kind to this premise.
 
I really don't know how much ram it hogs - I'm running on a cheapie shared account while I develop the site and will upscale to VPS or dedicated as needed. Currently I've only got about 120 beta subscribers and haven't had more than about 15 concurrent users but it was still plenty fast and responsive although a lot of that could possible be attributed to W3 Super Cache.

I've only used the multi user version so far, but I'll upgrade one or 2 single user instances right off the bat when 3.0 officialy releases and let you know what I find re bloat issues