Any tips on cooking for one?

Kiopa_Matt

Banned
May 13, 2011
5,216
52
0
I'm tired of Thai food everyday, they won't eat what I cook, and I'm not eating what they eat, so back to cooking for one for me! They'll eat what I cook once in a while, but not often. Want to try cooking good this time around though, but who wants to cook for example, a nice chicken pasta, with lemon fried rice, and broiled potatoes for one? I love cooking, but I'm not making nice meals like that just for me.

Here's the best I can come up with, and see how it goes. Bought a couple tupperwares, each of which has 9 compartments. One is reserved for chopped up fresh stuff (peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, olives, shredded cheeses, etc.). Other is for sauces (salsa, guacamole, sour cream, thousand island dressing, etc.), plus seasoning (fajita, taco, burrito, steak spice, etc.).

Then bought a bunch of meat (chicken, ground beef, steak, pork, lamb, etc.), and put it in individual ziploc bags in the freezer. Then breads -- tortillas, taco shells, pita breads, etc.

This way I figure I can cook a decent meal that's semi-healthy for one easily within 15 - 20 mins. Quesadilla, fajita, taco, soulvaki, gyros, whatever... all veggies, sauces and seasoning are ready to go. Maybe throw in some lemon fried rice, a potato, or salad, and I have a good meal. I figure I'll have loads of different options this way, and it'll take a while to get bored of the food. Let's see how long it lasts though. :)

Any other tips for cooking good meals for one? Or do the majority who eat for one here just order up pizza online, then complain on the internet over a $0.80 vs. $2.50 tip while shoving your face? :)
 


Step 1. Hire local chef / catering company
Step 2. they deliver you 3 meals a day bi weekly
Step 3. Use the time you saved by working on AM more.
Step 4. ................................................................
Step 5. Profit.


Orrrrrrrr

Step 1. Get Married and tell that bitch to cook for you.
Step 2. .............................................................
Step 3. Profit.

Either way is better then cooking and dealing with all that shit which you think would be fast, but takes fucking forever.
 
george-foreman-grill.jpg


Meat

breville-rc3-family-rice-cooker-and-steamer.jpg


Rice & veggies
 
Step 1. Hire local chef / catering company
Step 2. they deliver you 3 meals a day bi weekly
Step 3. Use the time you saved by working on AM more.
Step 4. ................................................................
Step 5. Profit.


Orrrrrrrr

Step 1. Don't Get Married and tell that bitch to cook for you anyway.
Step 2. .............................................................
Step 3. Profit.

Either way is better then cooking and dealing with all that shit which you think would be fast, but takes fucking forever.
Fixed your post
 
Rice maker ftw

Bwah, don't even get me started on rice. Living in Thailand, so have all the rice making shit you could possibly want. Steamed rice, sticky rice, fried rice, whatever... we got it. Have probably 30kgs of rice sitting in my kitchen right now as "presents". All different strands, all for different purposes.

Sick of bloody rice, hence one of the reasons for this thread. :)
 
I cook for two but I cook the same for one if she's away. I make large meals a couple times a weeks, stew, pasta, meatloaf, stirfry, curry, whatever and then we eat that for another dinner and possibly a lunch. It helps alleviate the time spent prepping and cooking. If I'm making salads for dinner, I also make salads for lunch the next day at the same time.

Otherwise it's just work. Like anything else in life, the more you put into it, the more you get out. Your most important tool in the kitchen is your knife. A good 8 or 10 inch chef knife and large heavy duty cutting board are indispensable. Learn knife skills and you become the food processor and prep times are greatly reduced.
 
samthecookingguy.com

I cook large meals 2 times a week and live off of left overs. This guy kicks ass too.
 
51bXDDlUSBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg


[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Once---Month-Cooking-Revised-Expanded/dp/0312366256/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307586592&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Once-A-Month Cooking, Revised and Expanded: A Proven System for Spending Less Time in the Kitchen and Enjoying Delicious, Homemade Meals Every Day (9780312366254): Mary Beth Lagerborg, Mimi Wilson: Books[/ame]
 
I always just grill a bunch of chicken good for like 3-4 days. Then I just throw a bunch of veggies in a pot and steam them before dinner (takes like 2 minutes). Not a lot of variety, but I get my protein + veggies and, more importantly, it's cheap and takes like no time.
 
Problem is portion size coupled with my desire to eat something different the next day...

So my advice is to take your starch...and find a way to diversify it so you don't eat the same shit twice.

I.e. you make chicken & pasta one night...make extra pasta, add veggies and a different sauce the next day for lunch.

As a single, post-collegiate man I find all the shit I buy at the grocery store is clearly made for 2 or 3 people when you cook a box of rice or any of that shit...so you gotta prep your shit and diversify like I said.

Eating the same thing every day is crazy! Food is like one of the best parts of being human.