Anyone ever sold a Twitter username before?

vinny lingo

Banned
Jan 22, 2008
937
20
0
I have a personal account that happens to be the abbreviated version of a company's name. This company uses this form of their name on all their marketing, and brands their products with it as well. They currently use their full company name as their handle on Twitter. They have never contacted me regarding this.

I want to switch to a different username on this account and was about to do that tonight when I remembered this, and thought to myself, "why not try to make some coin before I just toss it?"

So what about it? Any of you ever successfully transferred a twitter user name and gotten paid for it?
 


Name squatting is against Twitter's terms of use ...now with that being said http://tweexchange.com/ hasn't been shut down yet in fact it was featured on Mashable. OP unless you see that the company is actively using social media to market right now - you don't have much of a leg to stand on trying to sell it to them.
 
Make them an offer they can't refuse. If they are a decent sized company I'm sure they wouldn't mind dropping a little bit of cash to get that Twitter name. Hell, I know I wouldn't mind paying up to $1000 just based on some web properties that I own and I'm not even a big shot. Just don't be unreasonable. I don't think that it would qualify as squatting since it's your personal account and your abbreviated name is that name.
 
I am aware that name squatting is against their TOS. However, squatting was never my intention. The account name is my initials, and it has been far from inactive.

I'll see what they say, and if they decide to go the law suit route, well, I didn't want it anymore anyway.
 
I am aware that name squatting is against their TOS. However, squatting was never my intention. The account name is my initials, and it has been far from inactive.

I'll see what they say, and if they decide to go the law suit route, well, I didn't want it anymore anyway.

If they go the lawsuit route they won't win if it's your initials. At least I don't... think?
 
If they go the lawsuit route they won't win if it's your initials. At least I don't... think?

Yeah, I don't think so, either. I can't remember the guy's name but didn't FB get a lot of backlash for taking a username which was the guy's last name from him and giving it to a company with that name? Didn't even go to suit.