anyone here do martial arts?

some fun viewing
1310561630_fight-quest-hapkido.jpg
 


Oh and I forgot to add,

There is a reason why every single world champion in the UFC does BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU and none of them do Hapkido, TKD, Tang Soo Do Kwan Sho, Tae Bo etc. Sure they might have good techniques here and there, but as for an all round fighting system, they suck. Prove me otherwise if you disagree.

It's because BJJ fucking works, that's why the Gracies started the UFC in the first place. It was an infomercial on how effective BJJ is. It is a no nonsense style, it's efficient, and deadly and they don't hand you a fucking green belt every time you complete your 35th payment.

I'm biased but Boxing one of the best styles you can learn on the street for a stand-up style because you are most likely going to be throwing hands in a volatile situation. In real hardcore boxing gyms, sparring sessions are pretty much like fights and if you do that 3x a week. You will get used to getting hit, stopping hits and giving hits, your ego will get broken down day in and day out.

I find that the most skillful fighters I know, are the ones who are most likely to walk away if shit hits the fan, because they're egos are broken down and tested day in and day out at the gym.

If you can find a legit Israeli Krav Maga school, then they're self defense is top fucking notch. Probably the best street fighting system outside of firearms, knives and weapons.

I think I may have found a good Krav Maga School. Any criteria you would go by specifically ?

I did boxing for couple of years, and still do. And I have had fights on street as well.

Yeah, all MMA top fighters have background in BJJ and whatnot. But then again, you must remember that MMA and most other fighting sports are, well a sport.

Lying on the ground during a street-fight, is a fucked up situation to be in. You never know when a buddy of his can "sucker kick" you in the head.

On the street nobody will stand infront of you, and wait while another guy announces that the fight has started. The agressor will always use his advantages over you (dark street, jumping from behind, sucker punch, using a weapon, etc). When you respond to an agressor, you're fighting on his terms, not yours. There is no "ring", there are no points, no refs, nothing. Just you and the agressor, fighting on his terms. If you have the chance to run, then just motherfuckin run. If you're with a GF or other person that might get hurt because of you fleeing, or your life is in danger, well that's another story, and be my guest to break that fucker's skull.

You must also remember, if you go to court for giving too much damage, understand that street fighting and self defence are two different animals. Self defence means that you have to get out of the "clusterfuck" situation as fast as possible. Kick in the balls and run - that is self defence.

Kneeing the "enemy" after you have punched him 3 times in the face and solar plexus is street fighting. I don't know how it is in US or any other country - you must look at laws, or speak to a lawyer about that. But yeah - don't mix streetfighting and self-defence those are two different things. And if you did "too much" of self-defence, you can be classified as the agressor, even if the guy pushed you first.

Oh, and, well atleast in my country, if you use the term "self defence" to cops or in court, you just basically screwed yourself. Because when you mention "self defence", you are now in a position where you have to proove yourself that it was justified to use force to defend yourself. It is a very tight line between self defence and street-fighting.

Be careful when you do that.

And all the talk about "BJJ vs Boxing", etc. It doesn't matter that much. It mostly depends on the person. You can't say Thai-box is better than kickbox because you saw a thai-boxer knocked out a kickboxer. It depends on the person.

My two cents - ANY training will help. You just have learn to cope with "fight or flight" response. Also when you're training, you mostly don't get the "real" adrenaline rush that you get on the street, and adrenaline rush is a real bitch. Get some training, and learn to keep your mind as calm as possible.

BTW, why Jap samurais samurais where so fucking cool? One of their keys was that they were able to keep calm during the whole clusterfuck that was happing in the battle.

Learn to control yourself, know when someone is provocating you, and use your brain more often than fists.

Almost all streetfights start because someone hurt someone's ego. Of course, real attacks happen (thugs, robbers and such), but you can avoid almost all fights if you don't fuck over someone's ego, and stay calm when someone else calls you a "pussy". You got to learn to recognize that. Don't allow the ego to take over your common sense.

Been there, done that.

Shiiiittttt.... this was a long one.

hear you on learning to control yourself and practicing self control about the court thing I am not too worried about what the Judge would say that's what I have my online monies for buying a good lawyer:)

Seven years Krav Maga, did BJJ for five years before Zuffa bought UFC. Toyed with joining the Army to try and get into Ranger School. Ended up getting into college on a full ride instead. Sort of regret it... Meh

Now I just keep two swords and a 9mm in my house. You outgrow getting punched in the face at some point and if I'm getting into a fight anymore it's to kill you. Otherwise I'm just walking away, I'm done showing who has the biggest balls.



Here's how I'd recommend taking up martial arts:

Discipline? Some sort of Kung Fu or even Tai Chi
Self Defense? Krav Maga + Gun
Fitness? Kickboxing or Muay Thai

When it doubt run, when you can't run: draw a weapon.

thanks what would you look for in a Good Krav Maga School?
 
I think I may have found a good Krav Maga School. Any criteria you would go by specifically ?



hear you on learning to control yourself and practicing self control about the court thing I am not too worried about what the Judge would say that's what I have my online monies for buying a good lawyer:)



thanks what would you look for in a Good Krav Maga School?

1. A Krav Maga Association certified instructor.
2. Preferably taught by former or current IDF servicemen.

There are three different applications of Krav Maga and your instructor's knowledge would influence your skillset. From what I've read it doesn't sound like you really want what Krav Maga offers, if you're looking for something to help you with self defense and eventually compete with you're going in the opposite direction and running three miles down the street.
 
I TOTALLY agree with everything you said here. Style really doesn't matter when it comes to street fighting. It only matters in MMA because it's a "conrolled" environment where there are rules and both fighters are well trained both physically and mentally.

Now... about ego, let me add this: it's really hard to control (virtually impossible) when girls are involved. That's how most fights start today! Remember this saying: men's biggest weakness is women. (forgot who said it though)

You can be a 36th generation Shaolin monk, have 15 years of intensive yoga training, professional vipassana meditation practice and anything else... you WILL lose your cool if someone insults your girlfriend or if someone insults you near a bunch of girls. It pisses me off that we simply CANNOT control our primal instincts. Impossible. I've tried. We're animals.

What pisses me off the most is that now I see that girls are also becoming more and more violent too. Often times in bars you see girls starting fights and then encouraging their BF to kick the guy's ass. It's really sad when as a girl you should quickly try to calm everyone down and walk away. Honestly a couple weeks ago I was at this bar and there was a big fight between a bunch of guys outside, and their girlfriends were watching and cheering! Thank god the police came because honestly it was getting real ugly and some guy had just picked up a rock and was about to smash someone's head in.

If you really want to live a ZEN life, avoid bars, avoid big cities and ideally go live on top of a mountain away from everybody. Seriously. Society is fucked up.

agreed on the girl thing. And yes UFC and shit is always a controlled environment each fighter is only as good as the rules allow a fighter to be.

In real life an attacker will so no mercy and neither should you. that is why Krav Maga is so great they drill into you aggression and no mercy day in and day out.

And really agree with you on society I for one would love to live as Emile Hirsh did in Into The Wild and be fine with it except no girls :(

But because society is so fucked up and because Cops don't really do shit at least where I am from. You HAVE to learn to take care of yourself and be self reliant and don't think for a second that if you get into trouble in public someone will come and help you.

Without making this thread too political and going too off topic. People today are on survival mode and don't care one cent about someone else if they get into trouble.

As we have all seen on subway trains in NYC and other cities people walk around with blinders on to the world and act like they are on robot mode or something and have no compassion for their fellow man anymore.

And as I said above you have to learn to take care of yourself / handle yourself and stand on your own two feet as a man and be prepared at all times to handle anything that comes your way .

And can't rely on the Cops or other people to step in anymore to do the right thing.

I mean how many videos have we all seen posted here that provide examples of this?

edit: end rant

if you don't agree with me I don't give a fuck it's what I believe
 
1. A Krav Maga Association certified instructor.
2. Preferably taught by former or current IDF servicemen.

There are three different applications of Krav Maga and your instructor's knowledge would influence your skillset. From what I've read it doesn't sound like you really want what Krav Maga offers, if you're looking for something to help you with self defense and eventually compete with you're going in the opposite direction and running three miles down the street.


thanks will check on those two points. I want both self defense and eventually something I can compete with yes as long as I enjoy it somewhat or find that I am passionate with it.

But also want something that is practical to street fighting/disarming armed attackers/multiple attackers etc.
 
thanks will check on those two points. I want both self defense and eventually something I can compete with yes as long as I enjoy it somewhat or find that I am passionate with it.

But also want something that is practical to street fighting/disarming armed attackers/multiple attackers etc.

Umm...
Run.

Either shoot or run.

If you want something practical for stopping multiple attackers get a gun.

Seriously.

I wouldn't fight unless I totally had to. Walking away is priority #1.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suspect Device
Danke speaks some sense.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcK6fneIx4]Tech 9 - I'm gonna get a gun - Ejected cover - YouTube[/ame]
 
Umm...
Run.

Either shoot or run.

If you want something practical for stopping multiple attackers get a gun.

Seriously.

I wouldn't fight unless I totally had to. Walking away is priority #1.

I am a true believer in that it's always better to have it and not need it and need it and not have it.

I will get a gun as well. And will run if the opportunity presents itself. But if I find myself or am with someone and we find each other in a situation and can't get out of it by running or shooting for whatever reason ( I am sure you can think of a few) I want to be prepared.
 
I will get a gun as well. And will run if the opportunity presents itself. But if I find myself or am with someone and we find each other in a situation and can't get out of it by running or shooting for whatever reason ( I am sure you can think of a few) I want to be prepared.

Just FYI you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting a conceal & carry permit here in MD. </random sidenote>
 
I think you should searching about WINGCHUN. The first MA that Bruce Lee learn.

Yes that was the first MA that Bruce Lee learns and the form he created or helped promote: Jeet Kune Do looks pretty good and Like MMA and BJJ. encompasses alot of the great strikes and jabs that wing chun has but also includes ground and grappling techniques
 
Heh, except Jiu Jitsu is proven to work on the highest level of combat sports.

It was a joke.


Oh and I forgot to add,

There is a reason why every single world champion in the UFC does BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU and none of them do Hapkido, TKD, Tang Soo Do Kwan Sho, Tae Bo etc. Sure they might have good techniques here and there, but as for an all round fighting system, they suck. Prove me otherwise if you disagree.

It's because BJJ fucking works, that's why the Gracies started the UFC in the first place. It was an infomercial on how effective BJJ is. It is a no nonsense style, it's efficient, and deadly and they don't hand you a fucking green belt every time you complete your 35th payment.

BJJ is good for one thing and one thing only, ground fighting. That by definition makes it not a well round art, fighting system, or whatever. What happens when you can't take your opponent to the ground? What happens if you can't keep him there if you can? You end up like royce when he got his ass spanked by Sak.

UFC is an extremely controlled environment and to compare UFC to a real world fight is laughable. I'm not saying UFC fighters wouldn't rape people in a street fight, because that more than likely would. However, I've never been in a street fight where it's one on one and going to the group means getting your head stomped in by his friends. I'd rather be on my feet throwing people around using their weight and momentum against them.
 

Disregard what that dude said above. If you can afford it and are close enough to do it at that school, do it. Cobrinha is a fucking freak and world champion, one of the baddest dudes in BJJ today while being very technical and smart so yes, if he is the head trainer 100% go for it.

It was a joke.

BJJ is good for one thing and one thing only, ground fighting. That by definition makes it not a well round art, fighting system, or whatever. What happens when you can't take your opponent to the ground? What happens if you can't keep him there if you can? You end up like royce when he got his ass spanked by Sak.

UFC is an extremely controlled environment and to compare UFC to a real world fight is laughable. I'm not saying UFC fighters wouldn't rape people in a street fight, because that more than likely would. However, I've never been in a street fight where it's one on one and going to the group means getting your head stomped in by his friends. I'd rather be on my feet throwing people around using their weight and momentum against them.

Haha ok, but there is stand-up grappling in Jiu-jitsu as well, just like you see in Judo. And depending on the school, there is a heavy self defense emphasis taught. And I still stand by it being complete system of fighting.

And just by training BJJ I think you have an advantage over 99% of people in the world who have no idea how to fight. If you can't get them to the floor, or take their back and choke them out while their standing then its just as likely that you couldn't have punched or kicked the guy to a KO etc.

And if there was a case in which there is a situation where you could potentially get your head stomped in by multiple dudes, then either

A) you probably deserve it
B) you should have gotten the fuck out of there

Which is why I also stated above that outside of weapons Krav Maga is probably the best for straight up street brawls with no rules. Good schools also teach ground fighting techniques if it happens to hit the ground.

I'd rather be proficient in throwing groin kicks (its a science), blinding offense, eye gouges, neck strikes, and various dirty tricks etc. over having a bad ass deep-half guard sweep any day in a street fight.
 
Haha ok, but there is stand-up grappling in Jiu-jitsu as well, just like you see in Judo. And depending on the school, there is a heavy self defense emphasis taught. And I still stand by it being complete system of fighting.

I was referring only to BJJ. I might be wrong, but it's strictly ground fighting.

And if there was a case in which there is a situation where you could potentially get your head stomped in by multiple dudes, then either

A) you probably deserve it
B) you should have gotten the fuck out of there

It's not always possible to immediately run and get away. I grew up in a pretty bad neighborhood and was going to summer school. We were talking about VD (crabs) and I apparently pissed off some gang bangers (Rollin 90s). When I got out of school I was surrounded (litterally) by full grown men with prison tattoos. The only way I managed to get out of there was punching one in the throat and running through the hole to get back into the school. Knowing how and where to punch probably saved my life or at least saved me from the hospital.

I'd rather be proficient in throwing groin kicks (its a science), blinding offense, eye gouges, neck strikes, and various dirty tricks etc. over having a bad ass deep-half guard sweep any day in a street fight.

Sounds like you'd like Hapkido then.
 
I did kickboxing for several years when I was younger, 13 fights undefeated. I was in it more for the fitness and competition rather than self defense although it does teach you a lot about control and respect and I believe the most powerful thing I took from it was confidence. I havent trained for over 15 years now but I still feel confident in most situations. I think confidence carries over into social/business situations too.