Joneses - I understand what you are saying, but I think the logic behind this argument is not sound. I own 12 houses and a couple duplexes and condos all acquired in 2009-2010. The quality of tenant I can find who wants to rent a house is much better than someone renting an apartment. The amount of "stuff" home renters acquire is way more (they get their own big garage and a backyard) so they are less likely to move. I make my tenants pay all their own utilities and landscaping.
A tenant is a tenant.. as long as the rent is on time I don't care. And after you take a look at a couple dozen rent rolls you would be surprised how many tenants stay in their apartment for years on end.
And the most important argument. The buyer pool for a single family home is almost everyone. Single family home purchase decisions are not made upon cash-flow, but emotions. Very few buyers buy multi-family because they like the color of the house or the size of the master bedroom.
This... is no where near the most important argument. The buyer pool? I would much rather deal with a experienced business person that is buying on income and not off of color. I would much rather deal with something that I can apply forced appreciate via lowering expenses and have that equate to 10's of thousands of dollars of income then have the house 2 doors down lower my comp. value.
That being said, they're two different games and both are good. Right now, at least in California the profitable game is buy a house that used to sell for $300,000 - $400,000 for $50,000 - $100,000 and let it pay for itself until it's time to sell. Once prices get to a point where they won't cash-flow, I will stop buying them.
Multi-family here is still selling around a 7 cap. You go to Orange County and it's 5 or 6 cap.
The most important argument.... real estate is more than the 20 square miles you live. And you will never catch me buying any RE in New York or "New York West" aka California. RE and Tenant laws in both those states are fucked.
