Anyone use QuickBooks for their online business?

CLKeenan

Banned
Jun 24, 2006
2,506
14
0
Boston, MA
Haven't really done too much research but just wondering if anyone has a robust setup with QuickBooks? My setup isn't really that complicated.

I've got ad networks that pay net 45-90.
I sell some links (shhh don't tell google).
I do some consulting for random people on an hourly basis.
I pay independent contractors (1099) on an hourly basis.
I have business costs like web hosting, domain fees, advertising, SEO, content writing, etc.

I don't sell any products (online or B&M).
I don't charge sales tax.
I don't own any real estate.

At first glance, QuickBooks might be overkill. However, I do want to start doing a much better job of treating my business like a business and isolating it from the personal side of my finances.

Any thoughts or guides? What "industry" do you even choose? PR/Advertising?
 


I'm on a Mac and have been using iBank. It's as good if not better than Quicken and the others I've used. It's certainly more attractive and produces amazing reports too.

If you don't want to get anal about it, just use any of them and set up all cash accounts and treat it like balancing a checkbook. It'll still run your totals without you having to spend too much time messing with it.
 
If you don't want to get anal about it, just use any of them and set up all cash accounts and treat it like balancing a checkbook. It'll still run your totals without you having to spend too much time messing with it.

I do the same thing. Its a bitch to setup "accounts" and all that other shit. Quick books is very nice if you enter the data on time. You can pinpoint all expenses and see whats good and whats not.
 
yes, i use quickbooks; really the industry selection doesn't matter much. i chose 'professional services' version. i used to just use excel-based sheets to keep track of it all, but when i had more than one company, it became nice to just backup all my entries to a single qb file per company & email it to my CPA every year.

one thing i don't like about it relative to excel is that with QB, i hope its doing what i intend it to do (and always wind up double checking the effect of my entries by running reports), whereas with excel, i know its right because there isn't anything happening "behind the scenes". heh, i feel like i'm talking myself out of QB. all those QB reports are easy to manually replicate in excel.
 
Real ballers have their own bookkeepers.

everyone uses QB and other software to deliver their info to their bookkeepers... you just kinda i mean not completely but in a sideways way indicated you're no kind of baller.

like real ballers put they shit in a toaster fo dey bitches yo. LOL.
 
everyone uses QB and other software to deliver their info to their bookkeepers... you just kinda i mean not completely but in a sideways way indicated you're no kind of baller.

like real ballers put they shit in a toaster fo dey bitches yo.

real ballers have in-house accountants...
 
^ I think he meant that the bookkeeper is on staff, in house, as in you are balling so big that you just spend the money and someone else keeps track of what you are doing.

I know you aint claiming to be a baller but just thought Id help you confirm that thought.

edit: posted 2 comments too late - btw im so freaking not balling, i bought QB four years ago and it sits on my shelf collecting dust because at the end of the year i already have memorized the number of my clients and my income, and dont laugh when i say that i have a bad memory.
 
^ I think he meant that the bookkeeper is on staff, in house, as in you are balling so big that you just spend the money and someone else keeps track of what you are doing.

I know you aint claiming to be a baller but just thought Id help you confirm that thought.

yeah, i caught that -- just to confirm, i'm neither a baller nor a dumbfuck.
 
everyone uses QB and other software to deliver their info to their bookkeepers... you just kinda i mean not completely but in a sideways way indicated you're no kind of baller.

like real ballers put they shit in a toaster fo dey bitches yo. LOL.

Actually, I give my bookkeeper an Excel sheet and she imports that into Quickbooks herself.

I guess if you wanna learn QB, then go for it. But it's not necessary unless you're doing your own bookkeeping.
 
Actually, I give my bookkeeper an Excel sheet and she imports that into Quickbooks herself.

I guess if you wanna learn QB, then go for it. But it's not necessary unless you're doing your own bookkeeping.

Learn QB? It's pretty self explanatory, unless you're in 1st grade...
 
Actually, I give my bookkeeper an Excel sheet and she imports that into Quickbooks herself.

I guess if you wanna learn QB, then go for it. But it's not necessary unless you're doing your own bookkeeping.

if there was a post to sum up this thread, this is it. bookkeepers charge you the same if you do it yourself via QB or give them the details via excel. i've done both & they charge exactly the same, 1 hour's worth.
 
I'm on a Mac and have been using iBank. It's as good if not better than Quicken and the others I've used. It's certainly more attractive and produces amazing reports too.

If you don't want to get anal about it, just use any of them and set up all cash accounts and treat it like balancing a checkbook. It'll still run your totals without you having to spend too much time messing with it.

Quicken is not the same as Quickbooks. iBank isn't even close. If you actually need to manage invoices and such you need a business tool.