Apple Summary: New Macbook Air ($999+), iLife, Facetime on OSX, App store for OSX

blank_czech

New member
Mar 16, 2008
1,375
15
0
There might have been some other stuff but I kind of missed it probably. I'm surprised there's nothing like an "App Store" on windows yet besides Steam, which is basically a store for games.

You have stuff like that for linux, but to my knowledge none of it is commercial. It seems so much more convenient for both the developer (maybe, I really have no idea) and consumer to have everything bundled together.

Apple introduces 11.6-inch MacBook Air, available today for $999 -- Engadget
Hoo boy, our tipster was spot on with this one, Apple's adding an 11.6-inch sibling to its newly redesigned 13.3-inch MacBook Air. It'll have a dual-core 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (upgradeable to 1.6GHz), 1366 x 768 resolution, and a $999 starting price for the 64GB SSD model, with the 128GB version setting you back $1,199. It carries over the aluminum unibody construction from the 13-incher, along with the same 2GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics, but has to settle for a briefer 5-hour battery life. Full PR after the break.

Mac App Store for OS X 10.6 and 10.7 unveiled, coming 'within 90 days' -- Engadget

Given its success with the iPhone / iPod touch's App Store, we can't say an OS X version is entirely crazy -- and neither can Apple, who just announced such an App Store for its 10.7 release, Lion. Here's what we know so far: multi-touch gestures, app home screens, full screen apps. "Every app on the iPad is a full screen app," says Steve. Auto save, apps resume when launched. Don't expect on-screen multitouch, as Jobs is very much against vertical touching. "Touch surfaces want to be horizontal" -- you can all but kiss those touchscreen iMac rumors goodbye. Just like iPad, there's automatic installation, auto-updates, a 70 / 30 revenue split for developers, one-click downloads, and the license works for all personal Macs.

The App Store itself is a standalone app that looks a lot like iTunes. Apps are automatically dropped into the dock after download. Expect it to hit OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard users "within 90 days" from today. And developers? Apple's accepting app submissions starting in November.
 


I watched the live keynote, I'm pretty excited for iLife and facetime for mac. The mac store app I hope will be a game changer, but because of the 70/30 split I'm hesistant since people are used to finding and downloading apps so why give apple a charge, but if it takes off we'll see, I doubt it.

Lion/air looks like the future of merging ios/osx, looks exciting
 
I would actually love it if steam would carry applications and not only games.

::emp::
 
It seems so obvious now.. someone could have created an app store for windows\mac YEARS ago and probably would have made a fortune.