Boardwalk Empire.. prepare yourself



It was alright I guess. Lots of rehashed scenes from The Departed.

Like what?

Sopranos really gave what seemed to be a realistic look into the evolution of the modern day mobsters. Over time they changed, ditched cell phones as the FBI got smarter, shit like that. Evolution is hard in shows placed back in time.

Is it hard because you already know the outcome? We know Prohibition will eventually be overturned. It will be interesting to see how Thompson becomes more and more corrupt. We know Capone will become more and more powerful, and heavy is the head that wears the crown. It will be fun to watch that character corrupt everything he touches.

Also, I don't think Steve Buscemi really fills out the roll of a kingpin/boss/guy in charge. Every roll he's ever done he's played the retard side character (Con Air, Reservoir Dogs, Armageddon, etc). Plus he weighs like 170 pounds soaking wet? Hard to believe somebody doesn't just beat the shit out of him and take over his boardwalk action.

In a way, I can see what you are talking about, but I think Roundabout hit the nail on the head. He's not really a Kingpin. I can definitely buy into Buscemi as a corrupt politician type. He is a weasely guy who uses his brain more than his brawn.

Still too early to tell but given how fast HBO shitcans shows that don't perform, I'll give it 2 seasons max.

Want to bet on that? As long as Scorcese is involved, the show isn't going anywhere IMO. HBO is dying for a Sopranos replacement.
 
When it ended, I realized how much time had passed, first time I didnt smoke for that long except while sleeping in years...... Every episode will be on my download list as it comes out. haha if you want to quit smoking, wait for the season to end and have yourself a marathon, you'll be glued!
 
A repeat viewing is a must. I re-watched last night and I couldnt believe how many tidbits and small nuances I missed the first round.

Curious as to the reason behind Enoch's fascination for babies.. might have something to do with his wife who died (possibly pregnant at the time)...
 
Watched the first 2 episodes yesterday and loved them. Will be checking the rest out today.
 
This series is just TOP NOTCH. Everything about it is eye candy.

I was worried last night's episode would be askew as Scorsese only directed the first 6 but the directing was superb and the story, more importantly, is just really taking off.

Only regrets are I wish we could see more Capone and Rothstein scenes, as these two guys IMO are pure joy to watch, but I understand theyre building up the story slowly and don't want to ruin a good thing with too much exposure of these two acting gems.
 
^ I was also concerned about Scorsese's absence from the later episodes. The writing and acting are so on point though, I hardly noticed a difference.

Have a feeling that Jimmy's return to Atlantic City will cut down on Capone and Rothstein's scenes, hoping that I'm wrong.
 
Well I just caught onto this show last week, and thank god for HBO on-demand I had myself a couple of 4 hour marathons catching up to the last aired episode. Hell, I like the show so much, look at my avatar.

The thing that I like is how much you can learn about business just from watching the show. Giving people what they want. Finding opportunities. Making connections. And even amidst the violence, there's a lot but I like about the 1920's that's being portrayed in this show: Being classy, dressing well, treating your girl right, "the art of conversation." Just pure awesomeness.
 
Yeah I really like the direction that the show is going. I think at this point Margaret can't look back to her old, innocent life. Nelson is going through a lot of internal turmoil. I can't wait to see Rothstein's counter-move on Nucky / Chalky. The only thing that I'm kind of confused on is what Al Capone / Chigaco had to do with last nights episode. So Al Capone is no longer a child, and is ready to take responsibility for his actions? Oh well, I'm sure they have something planned for that. Personally I can't wait.