Apparently, here's the course objectives of a Business Management course:
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a total waste of time and money. If I was 18 again, and wanted to get into business, I would research an industry I enjoyed for a few months, and come up with a solution to a problem. The solution itself wouldn't matter, but the ambition, creativity, and innovation that went into it would.
Then I'd send that solution to all the big players and self-made multimillionaires in that industry, asking if they'd be willing to be my mentor. I'd tell them I'll even work for free. What the hell, it's not like you're making any money going to uni. There's a good chance there'd be a few willing to pickup a young, enterprising 18 year old, because that kid could be making them millions by the time he's 25. And that guy would probably teach them more in 3 months than he's going to learn in 4 years of uni.
Who knows though, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Business Management at uni is the way to go.
- Assess the factors that are used in optimizing organizational design, defining the appropriate legal form of business.
- Appreciate and anticipate the breadth and depth of the challenges and opportunities that Canadian businesses face in competing in local and international markets.
- Examine the way in which financial information is prepared and how financial information and non-financial measures combine to reflect the operating effectiveness of a business.
- Critically examine the moral and ethical responsibilities that businesses carry in the Canadian and international community.
- Evaluating the appropriateness and effectiveness of organizational structures for different organizations.
- Systematically apply the process of planning that an organization goes through, over both short and long term cycles, and from strategic through core operational aspects.
- Examine business processes, identify the essential elements that need to be controlled, and define systems through which to measure them.
- Analyze the way business processes flow and interact across any multi faceted organization, and to explore ways of measuring and improving productivity in these processes.
- Think judiciously and systemically in making business decisions, and anticipate their effects on the financial and other stakeholders of an organization.
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a total waste of time and money. If I was 18 again, and wanted to get into business, I would research an industry I enjoyed for a few months, and come up with a solution to a problem. The solution itself wouldn't matter, but the ambition, creativity, and innovation that went into it would.
Then I'd send that solution to all the big players and self-made multimillionaires in that industry, asking if they'd be willing to be my mentor. I'd tell them I'll even work for free. What the hell, it's not like you're making any money going to uni. There's a good chance there'd be a few willing to pickup a young, enterprising 18 year old, because that kid could be making them millions by the time he's 25. And that guy would probably teach them more in 3 months than he's going to learn in 4 years of uni.
Who knows though, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Business Management at uni is the way to go.