Buying living room TV to play movies from computer

jsherloc

Banned
Jul 31, 2010
227
3
0
I know there are several simple/more complicated configurations out there, but am just curious what you guys are using for your home setups?

I will not be using a cable box of any sort, just want to hook up the TV so that it plays video/audio direct from my computer. Long cords are an option as the rooms aren't far apart.

Cheap and Easy Solutions GO! :2gunsfiring_v1:
 


DLNA TV with wifi, Serviio on desktop PC. There are plugins for Serviio that let you stream History, Comedy, Discovery, A&E, TLC, NBATV, CNBC, etc... straight to your TV. You can also add Hulu RSS feeds and view shows as they are updated.


If you want specific shows that aren't on Hulu or that you don't already have downloaded, get Sickbeard and set it up to download the shows each week into a Serviio monitored directory, then you'll have all the programming you will ever need.
 
Want to hook up the TV so that it plays video/audio direct from my computer
+

I will not be using a cable box of any sort
=

I want to watch porn on my big screen television
 
  • Like
Reactions: amateursurgeon
I bought a really small lenovo from frys with hdmi and decent specs and hooked it to my TV and internet. I have bittorrent on there with rss feeds to download the shows I watch so they're ready asap. I also have a shared dropbox folder that utorrent pulls torrent files from automatically that i can drop torrents into from anywhere i'm at and it'll start downloading if i'm not home.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked to it. Super easy.

Just download XBMC for viewing stuff. Way better than VLC.
 
Setup a network attached storage (NAS). Buy Apple TV 2 then jailbreak and install xbmc. This is by far the smallest footprint possible.

Also consider boxee or a 'nettop' pc. I find that having a full system in my living room gives a bit more flexibility and you can watch shows directly from cbc, abc, etc.
 
If you are downloadiing movies there are plenty of tvs that have wifi and can be added to your network for streaming. Or you can get a tv with a usb hub and add downloaded movies to a portable hard drive and play direct.
 
I bought a really small lenovo from frys with hdmi and decent specs and hooked it to my TV and internet. I have bittorrent on there with rss feeds to download the shows I watch so they're ready asap. I also have a shared dropbox folder that utorrent pulls torrent files from automatically that i can drop torrents into from anywhere i'm at and it'll start downloading if i'm not home.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked to it. Super easy.

Just download XBMC for viewing stuff. Way better than VLC.
Right idea, but Usenet + Sickbeard + CouchPotato >>>
 
I just bought a new TV and am going to be building a new workstation/gaming rig and want to cannibalise this box for some living room d/l and playback machine so this thread is relevant to my interests. Subscribed.
 
I've been thinking of getting a cheap box setup with linux that only has to take care of livingroom viewing, but so far I just have HDMI plugged in from PC to TV and optic cable for audio only (music).

Also posting here for bookmark