Can anyone tell me what this does



I have been buying traffic from several suppliers and I see this stat in AWStats section 'Links from an external page (other web sites except search engines)':

http://74.55.82.98/go/go.php 18843

Site gets about 3500 uniques per day so 18,843 hits like that kind of shone brightly on the radar.

So I am not sure wtf that huge number is. My main hope is that the provider isn't botting the site. I am testing 4 suppliers and the other three seem genuine.

And sorry to be such a noob, but I am new to buying traffic. It's a hell of a lot more fun than trying to figure out how to please Google.
 
Finding this in HTML:

Code:
<script>location.href=''</script>

makes me think there is something BH server side code to change the referrer.
 
r00t:~$ traceroute 74.55.82.98
traceroute to 74.55.82.98 (74.55.82.98), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 3.542 ms 1.101 ms 0.836 ms

6 68.1.2.121 (68.1.2.121) 23.439 ms 41.066 ms 21.692 ms
7 70.167.150.134 (70.167.150.134) 23.403 ms 20.476 ms 19.505 ms
8 ae0.bbr01.sr02.hou02.networklayer.com (173.192.18.219) 24.968 ms 25.430 ms 23.402 ms
9 po31.dsr01.hstntx2.networklayer.com (173.192.18.233) 24.153 ms
po31.dsr02.hstntx2.networklayer.com (173.192.18.235) 25.977 ms 27.112 ms
10 po1.car07.hstntx2.networklayer.com (74.55.252.86) 30.400 ms
po2.car07.hstntx2.networklayer.com (74.55.252.118) 27.151 ms
po1.car07.hstntx2.networklayer.com (74.55.252.86) 28.333 ms
11 62.52.374a.static.theplanet.com (74.55.82.98) 25.742 ms 23.992 ms 27.636 ms

-------------------------------


Starting Nmap 5.51 at 2012-08-15 09:45 CDT
Nmap scan report for 62.52.374a.static.theplanet.com (74.55.82.98)
Host is up (1.0s latency).
Not shown: 988 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
21/tcp open ftp
22/tcp open ssh
25/tcp filtered smtp
80/tcp open http
111/tcp open rpcbind
135/tcp filtered msrpc
139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn
443/tcp open https
445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds
1040/tcp open netsaint
3306/tcp open mysql
10000/tcp open snet-sensor-mgmt

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 229.79 seconds


-------------------------------

People talking about same IP / service on DP in Jan 2012 -> [WTS] 2,500 Unique, Niche & Geo Targeted Traffic Visitors.

-------------------------------

Publisher Login
aka
Soft Pop Ads -> Publisher Login
 
^^Damn good call. OP you should do a post ony our experiences with those traffic providers if you get time. There is just so much crap out there these days, be nice to hear some current results/reviews/etc.
 
There are those here with vast experience with this type of traffic and it would be great to have some input from them.

The shit is dirt cheap though if you shop around, which means you can afford to test, and I am at the start of that process. I started buying traffic to quickly back-fill a dip in Google traffic (which made my client nervous) while I build a new traffic strategy. I would dearly love to not have to give a shit about Google though.

I don't own the site that I am promoting. The client uses Google Analytics and AWStats. GA under-counts traffic and of course is not even reporting the source on a given percentage of traffic e.g check this page. What cunts they are.

I don't know if the suppliers are mixing-in bots (I own ubot so I realise how easy this could be). The only way I can tell is the sales ratio, but I am not targeted on that, only unique visitors. However my client called me to say he has had an increase in orders for his stuff which could be co-incidence but I hope not, and hopefully it's not all ubot shit or manic Filipinos.

I have also emailed some of the supplier's clients, which may or may not be a reliable guide. I am doing as much due diligence as possible.

I think some of the suppliers are resellers for large suppliers - two of the companies I use have the same admin panel for example.

When I say 'dirt cheap' I really mean it - a few hours of my hourly SEO rate alone could buy mega amounts of traffic. I had to throttle back one of the suppliers because the spike was too great. So, even if a large percentage of it is shit, some of it probably is real people looking at pop-unders or paid to look at pages etc.

I am using bit.ly which means if they say they sent me 5000 visits and bit.ly says 3500, they will make-up the difference, which they have done.

Any comments or suggestions?
 
r00t:~$ traceroute 74.55.82.98
traceroute to 74.55.82.98 (74.55.82.98), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 3.542 ms 1.101 ms 0.836 ms

6 68.1.2.121 (68.1.2.121) 23.439 ms 41.066 ms 21.692 ms
7 70.167.150.134 (70.167.150.134) 23.403 ms 20.476 ms 19.505 ms
8 ae0.bbr01.sr02.hou02.networklayer.com (173.192.18.219) 24.968 ms 25.430 ms 23.402 ms
9 po31.dsr01.hstntx2.networklayer.com (173.192.18.233) 24.153 ms
po31.dsr02.hstntx2.networklayer.com (173.192.18.235) 25.977 ms 27.112 ms
10 po1.car07.hstntx2.networklayer.com (74.55.252.86) 30.400 ms
po2.car07.hstntx2.networklayer.com (74.55.252.118) 27.151 ms
po1.car07.hstntx2.networklayer.com (74.55.252.86) 28.333 ms
11 62.52.374a.static.theplanet.com (74.55.82.98) 25.742 ms 23.992 ms 27.636 ms

-------------------------------


Starting Nmap 5.51 at 2012-08-15 09:45 CDT
Nmap scan report for 62.52.374a.static.theplanet.com (74.55.82.98)
Host is up (1.0s latency).
Not shown: 988 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
21/tcp open ftp
22/tcp open ssh
25/tcp filtered smtp
80/tcp open http
111/tcp open rpcbind
135/tcp filtered msrpc
139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn
443/tcp open https
445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds
1040/tcp open netsaint
3306/tcp open mysql
10000/tcp open snet-sensor-mgmt

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 229.79 seconds


-------------------------------

People talking about same IP / service on DP in Jan 2012 -> [WTS] 2,500 Unique, Niche & Geo Targeted Traffic Visitors.

-------------------------------

Publisher Login
aka
Soft Pop Ads -> Publisher Login

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uoM5kfZIQ0]Why I Don't Watch CSI - YouTube[/ame]