Can I run 2 external monitors off my laptop/docking station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLKeenan

Banned
Jun 24, 2006
2,506
14
0
Boston, MA
I want to get a true dual monitor setup. Right now I have a Samsung 226BW 22" LCD monitor connected via DVI cable to my docking station for my Lenovo T61 (model 4657).

I ultimately want to just have my laptop closed when docked, and have 2 LCD monitors running simultaneously with a wireless/bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Am I going to be able to do that? It seems as though I dont have enough DVI ports to do that.

Any suggestions??
 


something like this should work to allow output for a dual monitor setup

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DVI-Splitter-Cable-shielded-Connectors/dp/B000FI5KWA]Amazon.com: DVI Splitter Cable - Premium Double shielded with Gold Plated Connectors: Electronics[/ame]
 
I have a T61 with the advanced mini-dock. You would have to run one monitor off the dock (DVI) and the 2nd off the T61's VGA output. I haven't tried it but I would expect some quality loss on the VGA monitor.
 
I run a PC as well (Dell Studio 17), but i still use the Apple's Wireless when I am Docked. Only problem is no Numeric Pad... but im getting used to that.
 
Do you notice a decrease in quality between the vga and dvi monitor?

I can see the difference between DVI and VGA. Usually there is some subtle colour banding and fonts don't appear as crisp. As for your keyboard question there's another recent post (might have even been yours?) where we talked about the merits of the MS ergo 4000 model... there's a wireless version.

Why are you working off a laptop though? Why not go with a proper workstation with a dual DVI card? Laptops are for the road IMO.

Get yourself a couple 24" monitors and you're set. Studies have shown up to a 50% increase in productivity on a dual monitor setup.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.