Can someone explain "OBEY" and the following meme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refrozen

123456789 123456789 (123)
Dec 6, 2006
1,607
22
0
Houses
www.refrozen.com
I actually get the meme, I just don't get the ad. And I saw it everywhere for a while, so it clearly worked.

Why did it work? Do people just like to OBEY? Are you guys going to tell me some (probably true) shit about "psychological priming"? Its against the rules to out the LP, but I never clicked through to see what was on the landing page, was it something like "HAY GUYS YOU HAVE TO DO THIS LOL OBEY" or just a normal weight loss LP?

Edit: Oh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBEY WTF was with that weight loss LP then.
 


it comes from ANDRE THE GIANT HAS A POSSE, a real-world meme.

basically it was a Brown University grad student who put a random picture of andre the giant on a sticker and started posting it around Providence, then it just turned to Obey Andre The Giant

I think that he got OBEY from the movie "They Live" its def. worth seeing, the entire movie is on youtube.
 
It has its roots in NLP, hypnotists used to repeat "OBEY" as they put someone under, it was thought to help create a better situation of trust and obedience in the patient.

On an advertising level it's questionable as to whether or not it has any real effect...
 
It has its roots in NLP, hypnotists used to repeat "OBEY" as they put someone under, it was thought to help create a better situation of trust and obedience in the patient.

On an advertising level it's questionable as to whether or not it has any real effect...
NLP is pseudoscience at best, but I think it'd be really sweet if we got a community / group / subforum together here doing some NLP "research." Testing LPs and ads to try to formulate how NLP-type positioning/framing/etc. could really affect conversion.
 
We don't really need to do much research.
As much as people here like to bag out Academia for being all ivory tower and never actually doing shit, there's actually plenty of academic research into marketing practices that's been put forward by industry professionals. There are names I keep mentioning over and over as people to look into in regards to this.
The only ones who are 100% full of shit are the futurists and social commentators.
 
There's really NO research in to NLP stuff though. There's a LOT of bullshit and almost nothing in the way of real research. I've got access to all the major databases (EBSCO, JSTOR, etc.) and searching through them you find nothing on any of these principals.

Who/keywords would you recommend for marketing practice research? I don't see academia as a bad place at all.
 
NLP is pseudoscience at best

I can't speak about NLP as a science or the therapeutic/psychiatric use of it but from my experience in both in person and online sales the techniques behind it have definatley increased my sales ratios. In person it's way more effective, when I used to offer SEO services and web design to businesses my closing ratio jumped way up and I could easily get them to agree to a monthly retainer and upsells.

Now, in online sales it's been harder partly due to the fact that it's text, and partly due to the fact that most good ads already have what could be considered nlp techniques so there isn't much that seperates good copywriting from text based NLP. But with that said I have split tested pages where I deliberately used NLP (mostly embedded commands, and a light version of a swish pattern) and those landing pages always convert at least 10% better and in some cases (especially acai/biz flogs) as high as 30% better than non-nlp landing pages. Whats funny is that when I use reframing, it actually hurts the conversion rates which confuses the hell out of me.

Maybe NLP can get straight to the subconcious, or maybe it just makes us better sales people. I don't really care, as long as it "works" I'm happy :1bluewinky:
 
Fat chicks also tend to give really good head...wonder if there is a connection there somewhere.

It's coz fat chicks are always hungry, well they cant eat while sucking your dick so they just go for it to substitute a chocolate bar or something!

Disclaimer: I have no experience with fat chicks just guessing (sayin).
 
Isn't it simple? The only thing you need to do is (obey) and you will (lose weight).

Some Israeli guy doing fatloss4idiots a long time ago had ads with it, and everyone seemed to just copy it.
 
There's really NO research in to NLP stuff though. There's a LOT of bullshit and almost nothing in the way of real research. I've got access to all the major databases (EBSCO, JSTOR, etc.) and searching through them you find nothing on any of these principals.

Who/keywords would you recommend for marketing practice research? I don't see academia as a bad place at all.



NLP Archive

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~lady/psych/nlplinks.html

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~lady/psych/welcome.html
 
the obey thing was so they could sell andre the giant has a posse shit without aping the orig.

they is the original people selling the shirts i can't recall now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.